1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDDB Burning from MP3s

Discussion in 'Audio' started by obieobied, Oct 13, 2003.

1. obieobied

obieobied Member

Hmmm... It's probably been a year since I posted here... But anyways.

I bought a CD in a store, and I ripped it to MP3 on my hard drive, un-shared from P2P programs. Now I lost my original CD, and I'm going to burn the CD from the MP3s, so I can have it back.

Yeah right, like anybody's going to buy that crappy story... Anyways.
    I want to burn a CD from MP3s, but I need a way to assign the CD to some data from the CDDB database. So then, when I insert my burned CD, it won't just list "Track 1, Track 2, etc", But it will look up the information online in the CDDB and name the tracks automatically, and eventually provide a picture of the cover.

How do I do this? And no, I don't want to use the CD-TEXT feature, as my old PC is fried, and this laptop has no CD-TEXT burning ability. I just need it to look up the stuff in CDDB. Also, no, I cannot make a direct copy from the original CD so everything gets copied over.

Thanks!

-- soulshaker / obieobiedo

2. obieobied

obieobied Member

T_T ....

Just bringing it back up for people who don't look at old posts. What's that?! Huh?! I don't care! I need answers

3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I don't get this: If you have the mp3 files anyway (properly tagged/named I guess) why would you want to play the same from CD on your PC?

Anyway ...
    All I know is that ExactAudioCopy gets its data from freedb. If you insert an unknown CD you can enter all necessary information and let EAC send it to freedb. Afterwards your CD (also a burned one) will be recognized by programs using freedb. Maybe it works the same way if you have a ripper that uses CDDB. BTW, have you already tried burning this CD - and if it is recongized or not?
    One good, free ripper using CDDB is CDex.
    Maybe you find some helpful information in CDEx forum, e.g. in this topic: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/boards/index.php?showtopic=1363&hl=cddb
    From what I've found I'm somewhat confused where's the difference between CDDB and freeDB - but I don't care as it works for me the way it should ..._X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  4. obieobied

obieobied Member

Ah. Well I have about four different PCs, and I have the burned CDs, and am tired of getting "Track 1" etc. as a title, instead of the name. So if when I burned the CD, I could let it look up a specific entry in CDDB, I would get the track names automatically on any PC I put it in. Wether it's my PCs, or a friend's PC, as long as it has internet connection...

But you method seems like it works, only I'd have to type in the data myself everytime and then submit it online to freedb, if I understand you correctly. I will try this, but if it's still possible to have the CD Playing software lookup an already-exsisting CDDB entry, I'd love to hear it. Meanwhile I'll be using tigre's method. Thanks.

5. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

If it's about PC playback only - why don't you write the mp3 files to a data CD - if the PCs are not too slow every PC can play them and information is stored in the tags.

6. obieobied

obieobied Member

Because I'd like to pop it in my Discman too... or any other audio cd player. And I'm not rich enough to get an iPod or MP3 / Audio-CD player...

Just all purpose CDs.