1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDR Identifier

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by pchan424, Dec 27, 2004.

1. pchan424

pchan424 Member

I was trying to find a good program i could use to indentify all the features about my cd-r's such as dvd-identifier which one would use for dvd's. I download CDR identifier 1.63. The newest version to my knowledge and when i open it i cant get it to do anything or let me identify any cd's. I think its not recognizing by drives. The first button which you use to ID is shadded and next to it says

device used to read ATIP from:

SCSI ID of Device: No recorder found
    SCSI Status: Unknown or vendor specific sense code

Anyone know something i can do to help me. I want to be able to identify my CD-R media.
    Thanks

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm . IMPORTANT: when checking the version numbers, all four the version numbers have to match identically otherwise the ASPI is not installed correctly/completely regardless of whatever the checker says (this is especially true for Nero's InfoTools which only checks for the presence of the files rather than matching version numbers).

:)

3. pchan424

pchan424 Member

Ahh thanks so much for the help. you guys are so awesome. Everytime i need something help is here. i want to recap my process just to make sure everythings ok though. Ok i downloaded the file from that document. The aspi_471a2 file. i ran the aspi check thing and checked it out i was missing it. I read the instructions and i ran the install.bat file which i had to go through a command prompt heh im glad i learned how to use DOS in school. i ran it by typing install.bat xp32 i think that was the right one. im running windows xp pro. no itanium or anything like that. it installed and i rebooted and now cdr identifier works! heh so grateful. i didnt see what you were talking about matching it up with exactly. the picture on that document was to small. this is what my aspi check comes back as is it all matching?

ASPI32.SYS 4.71.2 16512 bytes
    WOWPOST.EXE 4.6 (1021) 4672
    WINASPI.DLL 4.6 (1021) 5600
    WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2 45056

Does that check out ok?

One more thing. ^.^ now that i got that working i bought some new Maxells today. how does this look

ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
    Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f / LBA: 359845)

Thanks so much for the help. Im really really greatful

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ideally all four would be the same version number but its not a major deal :) (as long as it works)

Good brand :)

5. pchan424

pchan424 Member

ahh ok i see now what i should have been matching up. So yes cdridentifier works but you dont think that having 4.71.2 and 4.6 will cause me to have problems somewhere do you? Yes i thought Ritek was good. Ive been reading through all the posts about cd-r media and trying to understand it all. I think ive prety much gotten the manufacturer part down like ritek and Taiyo Yuden but what about the dye part?
    like the one i posted was
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Does the dye have a big effect on the quality. I know ritek is good but is that dye good? and if so or not what kind of dyes are good?
    thanks again for all the help