1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cedega

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by MrPuffin, Jan 29, 2008.

1. MrPuffin

MrPuffin Regular member

2 questions
    will cedega run on pclinuxos2007
    and where can i download it free

if it doesnt run on pclinuxos2007 what does it run on im newer to linux so sorry if this is a stupid question

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Yes it will.. but your pc needs to be well above the minimum specs for the game..

No.. you have to buy it... People don't pirate *nix commercial products like they do windows stuff. It costs money to do the constant development to keep the games working.. they deserve what they charge (which isn't much)

You could try using wine if it isn't too hardware intensive.. but expect to do a lot of messing around.. If the game needs directx 10 forget it ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  3. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I think I've heard that you can subscribe for the minimum 3 month period and then just keep your current version without access to updates, but I may be wrong. Pretty useless without them though (as it is a constant work in progress), and it is only a few bucks to support something worthy.

That said, I think that a number of game studios just seem to think that the community will get their games to work under linux for them, so they don't bother with writing a port for that reason... A bit of a catch 22 really, put up with nothing and nag like crazy for support; or do something about it to get it running, then suffer from the game companies refusing to do anything because it "works" under linux...

4. xupal

xupal Member

i heard that crossover office works better but it isnt free

5. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I suck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  6. varnull

varnull Guest

Now a FYI.. how I would go about getting a complicated bit of software to run on a different OS..

Firstly I would install it on it's native platform and check how well it works, what it's dependencies are. If it calls lots and lots of the OS runtime routines to run functions like texture mapping etc I would give up right there.

If it looks pretty much standalone apart from acessing the system API I would look at what dll files etc it has installed to it's game directory.

Then I would make a small similar filesystem partition on one of my drives.. doesn't need to be huge.. couple hundred megs, and put a full set of the native OS dll's and drivers in there.. Finally I would put a copy of the complete game folder there as well..

Next I would try running the executable with a strace/debugger running and logging.. because I'm expecting things to be wrong and for it to crash..

Then from the logs trying to resolve all the unsupported function and file not found type errors will be a long process, and probably not feasible, fun to try, but don't expect to get it working anything like as well as it does on it's native platform.