1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Jac12, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Jac12

Jac12 Member

I hope I'm in the right place to post this question. If not I will understand it if it is deleted. I read the subjects and think this is where I'm supposed to do this.
    I want to take my old VHS tapes and convert them into DVDs but not sure how. I don't have a writable DVD for the TV but do for the computer. So I'm thinking I will have to either buy a writable one for the TV or get something for my Computer to do it.
    Any ideas??
    Thanks, Jac

2. Jac12

Jac12 Member

Sorry I forgot to add something that I think may be important.
    The tapes I want to convert are all home movies of the kids growing up and things like that. However I now longer have a working camcorder. I'm not so interested in that anymore. My daughter takes all the home movies now and she makes copies for me however her camcorder is really small and I bought mine in the early 80's just after they first came on the market for consumers.
    Thanks, Jac

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

4. Jac12

Jac12 Member

Thank You. I'll take a look at it and let you know how it turns out.
    Jac

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

let me give you a brief list of things you need.
    1)a capture card, not necessaryly by pinnacle or similar. you can get a video card that have s video input.

2)hook up your vhs.

3) get virtualdub. for capturing software

4) get huffyuv. a lossless codec.

5) get avisynth. for filtering. as you know vhs have grain and other noises. this will clean it up.

6) choose a lossy codec of your choice. i prefer xvid and realvideo10. to get it small

and you're done.

as simple as this may sound, for a first timer, you may need get use to the software first before doing anything. a good first step is getting the video digitize.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Codec packs are evil[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2004
  6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Jac12 ... I was surfing around and I found a DVD recorder at Sam's Club for $140 !! This is quite the bargain ! It is a Lite-On LVW5101 and records in the DVD+R/RW format ... I really like their products ... I have a Lite-On LVW5005 that I think is an awesome machine ...

... Anyway, I think that purchasing one of these machines would be an even easier way to convert your VHS tapes to DVD, plus you get a DVD recorder for recording Tv programs ...

... Go to
    http://www.samsclub.com
    and do a search for "LVW-5101" and you'll find it ...

... Note: Make sure that you put in the "-" or else you won't find it on their site ... LVW-5101
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]                 [​IMG]       

. . . Of all the things in my life that I've lost . . . . . I miss my mind the most . . .[/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004