1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest reliable DVD-R media

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ookami, May 22, 2003.

1. ookami

ookami Member

I have a Sony DRU-500AX and was wondering if someone can recommend the cheapest, reliable media they have come across. I've had some reasonable success with Princo... less than $1 each with about a 70% burn rate.

Can someone recommend a good brand and/or vendor?

Thanks!

2. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

Hi, I have a Sony 500AX too and I have tried Fuji, & Verbatim. On the cheap end, I ordered a 100 pc. of YesBuy.net's 2X "generic" DVD-R and the drive REALLY DOES NOT like it. I have 10 coasters. Don't buy this. From general discussions about media and this drive, it seems this drive *prefers* higher quality media -- Sony even has a list of *cerified* media that work with this drive, although the Fuji isn't listed, but works fine.

I may try the Optodiscs, since several people in this forum have had good success using them with the Sony 500 AX, but for now I look for quality media on sale. I recommend using on of those "sampler" kits some companies sell to see which media works good for your needs. I'm planning on doing the same once I run out of the good stuff (unless I see the Fuji go on sale again).

If you can get them less than $2 per disc, you are doing better than the average CD prices (price-per-megabyte).

3. ookami

ookami Member

The problem with sample packs is that you really need at least 5-10 burns to really know whether the media works for the burner.

4. jackiew

jackiew Member

5. commwiz

commwiz Guest

I like the optodisk dvd -rw with my Sony DRU-500A. About $1.20 a piece, and out of 50 I've had no bad burns. (firmware 2.0f). With my first set of 50 I had maybe 2-3 bad burns but I reformatted them and they burned ok. Only prob is they're 1X for 1.20.

6. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

Ritek G03's is the shilznit

7. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

Most of the new 4x discs (even the cheap ones) will work fine - I use the Datawrite classics by Princo and they work just fine on my Pioneer 104 at 2x. Make sure you have the correct firmware for 4x on some recorders. Check out www.datawrite.co.uk

8. ozy

ozy Regular member

I normally use either shintaro at $4.00 Aus a disc or StorQuest at $3.00 Aus per disc. Both are 1X burn but good backups.

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The brand I've been using is called Hotan. I'd never heard of it before, but I've done about 50 discs with 4 different burners (my friends and I buy media and share it.) None of us has made a coaster yet.

The place I get it from sells it for about $2 CDN each (about $1.45US.) I know I can get stuff cheaper online, but it's nice to be able to walk into a neighbourhood store and get it whenever I want.

10. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

I like getting stuff cheap too but I would like for my backups to last. I don't wanna go all out and pay for original pioneer media too expensive or not spend enough and have my backups all scratched up in a few months. So I go middle of the road and get not too expensive but very good quality Ritek G03's

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Ritek G03 x100 was my last purchase

[Aswell as x100 DVD cases , 90min CD-R x25]

Ritek G03 will show in Nero as burn @ X2 but they freeze towards final chapter if burnt at that speed so I take my time & get a reliable back up everytime (fingers crossed) on X1 burn.

The freezing on final chapter happened burning at X2:
    1) Nero using UDF so .VOB .BUP .IFO
    2) DVD Decrypter using WRITE ISO mode

I find Datawrite Classic X2 to be more reliable at the speed but they're always selling out and cost more than the Ritek.Some people have an issue with Datawrite Classic X2 disc , so when all said and done it depends on whatever DVD-RW (+RW) is burning the disc and what software is used in the process eh !?!

My £0:02's worth : )-

12. djillini

djillini Regular member

I have had nothing but problems with the Optodiscs...

Lots of success with the folllwing
    Princo brand (directshoponline.com) .85 per dvdr
    Ritek G03

dj

13. destroyo

destroyo Member

i just picked up "digitalmedia" brand 1x dvd-r a 50 pack for 50 bucks and they have been working good in my sony drx-500ulx...*
    and they have a nice blank white top

14. g1neo

g1neo Guest

In the uk i use princo 4x white top with pioneer 105 buy in 100's £1 each so far done about 250 not one coaster!

15. mikewill

mikewill Member

carlitob:
    "Ritek G03's is the shilznit"
    What's a "shilznit" ???

16. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

The shilznit- very good, excellent; COOL. Always preceded by "the" in this usage. ("I loved that movie! It was the sh|t.") Note: though the word "sh|t" seems ambiguous, it is always preceded by "the" when used in the complimentary sense. see also the bomb, the shizzit, the sheeyat

17. mikewill

mikewill Member

Cool. I've had great luck with G03's myself. Can't seem to find any these days, though. OOS everywhere. I'm thinking about trying some Princo 4x. Opinion?

18. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

allmediaoutlet has them in stock. I ordered on Sunday. They were shipped tuesday. will receive them tommorow. the 50pk is 3$ more expensive than meritline.

19. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

do these actually burn at 4x? 15min burn time?

20. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member