1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Tree lights but no chip..

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by m0dnewb, Mar 30, 2007.

1. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

ok so i was ABOUT to swap my harddrives but when i turned on my xbox the xbox turns off then on 3x then it flashes red and green but when i plug in the new hard drive it just goes to the error screen so does that mean the original hard drives messed up? or is something wrong with the xbox? is there a way i can fix this. Reminder...i havent installed and chip or anything the most i have done was take out the hard drive and put in a different one..

2. casper007

casper007 Guest

you cant just take out a hdd and replace it with another one without first modding your xbox in some way. as for the reason its now fragging that is unclear to me unless you have put your xbox back together wrong in some way and shorted out a solder joint or cable somewhere. i'm guessing you never made a back up of you stock hdd to your pc? looks like you are gonna need to buy a chip.

3. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well i have a disk i made of the whole c: drive..

but i think it may be something wrong with the ATA connecter because i switched my hard drives of both my xbox and now both of them arent working they both do the effect in both xbox's so its not a solder

4. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

well i have a disk i made of the whole c: drive..

but i think it may be something wrong with the ATA connecter because i switched my hard drives of both my xbox and now both of them arent working they both do the effect in both xbox's so its not a solder

5. casper007

casper007 Guest

Ok Xbox hard drives are linked to mother boards by eeprom numbers, you cant just copy one hdd to another via a disk as the mother board will still try to find the eeprom on the boot up. so without modding your xbox and hotswaping its not possible to put another hdd into your xbox. as for why the stock hdd no longer work maybe you have messed up something on mother board with a dodgy ata cable so it no longer reads either the only idea i have is to go buy a chip and hard mod your xbox, that way you can link any hdd to your mother board. let me know.

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

hmm you can do link any harddrive if you have a hard mod...insteresting maybe ill buy one...i had a friend fix it for me i dont know how he did it but he did.... but thanks for the info its useful in the long run :)

7. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, what you want is to get a modchip installed, then swapping in a larger hard drive is as easy as just taking out the stock one, slapping in the new one, then using Slayer 2.7 auto installer to format the new drive and install all the great stuff it comes with.
    You can then (if you backed them up on the PC) set up an FTP between your PC and Xbox and transfer over any game saves or games that you want on the new drive.

You can softmod it yourself for free (or almost if you do no have the needed game of AR Max) but then switching the hard drive is a process that is a lot more involved.

8. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

no it is soft moded..well at least one of them is...but my friends tried installing my 180 gb hdd but it wasnt working its formatted but i guess it just doesnt want to work he said him and his cousin were doing it the same way as they did theres but it still didnt work and they are pretty good at that kinda stuff

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007