1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class 6 SDHC Cards ?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by LDee, Jan 7, 2009.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello,

Have recently bought a Nikon D60 for someone and would like to help them get the best possible SD card for use with it (as long as price doesn't go too high) as possible. Currently I have loaned them a 4GB class 4 Kingston micro sdhc (using with an adapter) but it seems this could be slowing down the maximum number of shots in x amount of time (sorry, not a photo enthusiast so don't know the right terms) and also would prefer something with 8GB storage.

I will be ordering some stuff from the following site and saw they had some Class 6 cards on offer, I'll post links to them here, could people please comment on what they think of them in regards to quality, speed and price:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10513

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10679

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15035

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15975

Or is there another class or format of sd card that I should be looking for when wanting high speed usage with digital cameras? What about these prices? I'm in UK by the way.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I have no idea what Class 6 speed is....... the best cards out there do 45/MBs for reading and writing! then there's 30/MegaBytes per second. here is a great card:
    http://sandisk.com/Products/Item(2687)-SDSDX3-016G-A31-SanDisk_Extreme_III_SDHC_16GB.aspx

you can get cheaper ones but that Nikon deserves a faster speed for those sport shots or those flying birds! But if the person is just a beginner... then get the cheaper cards. let the user grow into needing a faster card. Unless you have money to burn! yeahhhhhhhhh!

I just googled it and this is what they said:
    a class 6 on SDHC's 2/4/6 class scale. That means you're guaranteed a data rate of at least 6MB/sec
    I use nothing lower than a 133x card which is 20/MB per second! I have 2 cards that are 45/MBs for those sports shots and flying birds! It all depends on what you want to do with your camera!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, 45MBs, I guess that's how you really unleash the full potential of one of these fast dslr's. Considering the price, I think I'll go with your first suggestion of letting them grow into needing a faster card! I'll probably pick one of those cheap ones up from dealextreme for now and let them know what is available in terms of speed for the future.

Thanks.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

keep watching the prices fall! They are working on a 2 Terra Byte card as we speak...... if and when they unleash that baby..... watch the prices drop on all those cards!

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

A 2TB SD card?!

Wow, couldn't we all just put one of those into one of the sd card solid state disk adapter type thingys and be done with hard drives?

What kind of performance will they have?

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it's in testing stage....... and it's at one of those Tech shows in Japan!

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yeah - I'm quite excited about SDXC :) And in answer to your question;

"SDXC (eXtended Capacity) is a next-generation SD card, with capacities up to 2 TB (2048GB), and read/write speed up to 50MB/s initially and up to 104MB/s in the future, with a possible 300MB/s as a long term roadmap."

They won't be compatible with any of the products that take SD cards on the market at the moment, unfortunately, only new products will support them (It's due to them using a new file system).

And, @IHoe - Class 6 is rather annoyingly the highest standard they go up to - Even the SanDisk EXtreme IIIs are only officially "Class 6", so technically even a really cheap Class 6 cards could sustain pretty good read / write speeds - You never know.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@Shokz......... so what are the 300x 45MB/s UDMA cards? are they class 6? I don't know..... and I know that Sandisk makes Extreme IV, and Ducatti cards that are faster than Extreme IIIs.

9. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

I think the class system is just for SD cards - Think of it like an industry-wide seal of approval, it just helps you know what you're getting - If a card can guarantee it will always write at over 6MB/s no matter what it can't be all bad... Though it's a shame they don't have higher classes for the faster cards out there.

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Ok...... my cameras are strictly CF cards.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The class system for the SD cards I think it is relevant if you buy quality stuff. They are suppose to guarantee a minimum write/read speed, and although they might never fall below that speed, they also might never reach the top speed advertised. They all say "speed up to *xxMb/s, but very few actually reach that.

I just returned a 16GB Transcend card to Newegg. It was a class 6, and it was slower that a Kingston class 4 that I already had. Also, with the higher capacity(16,32 Mb...), I think some of the manufacturers are still having problems with data becoming easily corrupted. The card that I returned wasn't just slow for a class 6; second day after using in a new GPS device, could not be read. Windows XP(using a SDHC reader) could not read it either,said it needed to be re-formatted.

I replaced it with a 8 GB Sandisk Extreme III( can still get them on amazon for about $20). So far it performs okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJhjLLoSa1A

12. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

as stated by Cyprusrom:
    I beg to differ with that statement. Ok... I don't have SDHC cards! My cameras are Canon 30D and the 5D Mark II. Because of the Mega Pixels of the 5D Mark II(21.1) I have to use large capacity cards. And because of the 21.1MP I need it to be fast because I don't want the read/write speeds to inhibit my camera from working to it's potential! So far the highest capacity card is a 32GB, and the fastest 32GB card is the Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/S), which costs $200.00-$280.00USD. The purchase of my 5DMII put my budget in perspective so I bought a 32GB Transcend card, which only does 133x or 21.5MB/S. I also have the Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB UDMA 45MB/S or 300x and a Sandisk Ducatti 4GB 300x 45MB/S UDMA. So I know which ones are fast and which ones are slower. My 32GB has worked like a charm.... had it for 3 months now, taken thousands of pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27531361@N08/
    and never any corruption with this HIGH CAPACITY 32GB CARD. It has served me well and I need a high capacity card for the 5DMII. The speed of that card can't compare to the speed of the Exteme IV or the Ducatti which are 300X! The only fault that I see is that they should start making the Ducatti 32MB cards and I would be very happy if they can drop that price to be more affordable! Am I dreaming? Probably. But there has never been any corruption that cyprusrom spoke about with my 32GB Transcend card EVER! Just slower read/write speeds which I overlook and still take great shots with that card! The capacity is what I need and it works like a champ!

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Mate,no reason to get jumpy, I am not trying to convince anyone about anything, just sharing my experience. I spent a few days reading reviews after reviews, researching about SDHC cards(unfortunately after I bought a "lemon"). And what I said, it was strictly relevant to SDHC cards alone,since that was my only experience, not any other type of flash memory(CF in your case)...Everywhere I looked, data corruption was more prevalent with the higher capacity SDHC(16,32MB). Maybe is a problem that Transcend has, since the name came up as problematic more often than any other brand.

Take amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Cla...?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

~20% that were not completely satisfied, they had some sort of data corruption. Of course there is the other batch of costumers that were totally satisfied , but over 20% failure is a bit too much in my book.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  14. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

or it could be just a coincidence that YOU got a bad card. I'm not defending Transcend.... but, other photographers, like myself swear by Transcend CF cards. Or, like you said it could be just the SDHC cards. And I wasn't "jumpy" about it..... just stating MY opinion from MY experience, same as you.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It could be a coincidence that me and some other 20% of the customers got bad cards. Never used a CF card, and Transcend might make solid CF cards,and other quality stuff,however,it fails when it comes to the 16GB SDHC. It fails when it comes to speed compared with other class 6 counterparts(or even against some class 4), and reliability. Maybe it was a problem with a certain batch of components(probably they just assemble and brand them, probably don't manufacture any of the chips) ...don't know, but I won't be buying one(SDHC) from them soon, even though the $$/GB ratio is very enticing comparing with some that are considered to be solid, reliable brands.

16. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

When you double the GB size, you need to at least double or more tha data speed.

Also remember the data speed is important for the card reader to the computer, the camera usually writes much slower than the max speed of even an average speed card. The one exception is if you're using a high-fps camera, like a pro-end Nikon D3, D200, etc, and shooting RAW at 5fps-11fps.