1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining srt files with avi's

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by animefan, May 22, 2004.

1. animefan

animefan Guest

First off, if this belongs in the audio section my apologies. I want to burn an avi onto a dvd, I know I have to convert to mpeg2 first, but the avi has a srt subtitle file! Is there any way(or program) I can combine the srt file with the avi to then be able to convert to mpeg?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what you can do is use "Virtual-Dub" with the Subtitle Plugin to Frameserve the AVI file with the Subtitles to an Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or MainConcept Encoder or CCE...
    What would be best is if you authored the DVD with the Subtitles being selectable like on retail DVD"s.. This way the Subtitles aren"t a Part of the Video cuz your DVD Player will display the Subtitles over the Video when you select the subtitles button on your Remote controll....
    Generally speaking only the most expensive DVD authoring programs have support for subtitles, Here are just a few:
    Sonic Scenarist 3.0
    Sonic DVD Producer 4.0
    Sonic ReelDVD 3.0
    Adobe EncoreDVD 1.0/1.5
    Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0
    Spruce MaestroDVD 2.9

Luckilly for you there is a 30 day fully working Demo available of Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0 that you can use to create this DVD ,It has it"s own built in Mpeg encoder but you should still use a different one like one of the ones I mentioned because they will produce better quality......Cheers

3. animefan

animefan Guest

Thanks for the info....and here I had the Ulead program all along....LOL!!!