1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete idiot needs help - DIVX .avi to VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by OttoD, Feb 6, 2003.

1. OttoD

OttoD Member

Alright I've looked at tutorials, read message boards, and I've spent about two hours trying to get these programs and codecs to work.

Virtualdub-Gives me a VFW codec error

Tmpgen-Gives me file not supported on an .avi file

Ive downloaded virtualdub, Tempgen (or whatever its called...), installed the Nimo codec pack... so why am I still getting errors and stuff? I'm trying to convert a DIVX .avi file to a MPEG which then I'll have NERO burn to a VCD format. A little help for the village idiot would be appreciated.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

In TMPGEnc, click option - environmental settings. Now, click the VFAPI Plug-in tab. look for directshow in the list and right click it, give it a higher priority till its equal with the highest or higher than the rest. Now try and see will TMPGEnc open the file!

3. OttoD

OttoD Member

Thanks a bunch for that tip, but I still need help on the audio. Are there any alternative programs to AudioDub?

4. Dela

Well VirtualDUB would have been the best thing to use in that situation but as you already said, it's giving you errors! So that kinda changes things. One thing you can try though is getting VirtualDUBMOD because it has more audio format support and may open your .avi!

5. OttoD

OttoD Member

Same VFW error with virtualdubmod as virtualdub

6. Dela

AudioDUB is probably your best choice then unfortunately!

7. OttoD

OttoD Member

I meant virtualdub in the above post. Now i'm running into a new problem that I just found. I removed the nimo pack, but one of the codecs is still on my computer and I can't get rid of it.

Under Setting > Control panel it shows something for
    "Mpeg Layer-3 Configuration"

Whenever I try using windows media player to run an MP3 file it gives me a security download warning for:

Fraunhofer IIS Mpeg Layer-3 Codec

I click yes and it does nothing. I click no and it does nothing. So now virtualdub wont work, and I can't paly MP3 files through windows media player. Anyone know how to remove this thing?

8. Dela

I have the Fraunhofer IIS Mpeg Layer-3 Codec installed and it isnt causing me any problems whatsoever! I can't rememver where i Downloaded it from all I remember is that it was hard to find!

9. OttoD

OttoD Member

Does it matter if I just delete a codec or do I have to go into registry

10. OttoD

OttoD Member

Ohh just great NOW my computer won't let me play DVDs (real ones not burned ones, but it wont let me touch those either.) Is there any sort of "codec wipe" program out there to just get rid of all the codecs that are installed and just go back to the default windows stuff.

11. Dela

I'm not sure, I've never heard of a program for that purpose but it would be very handy. On my computer all i have to do is go to control panel and to add/remove programs and my codecs are listed using WinXP Pro. I have never had any problems with codecs that I couldn't fix through that!

12. OttoD

OttoD Member

Youre on XP? I'm running W2k Professional. I did find out where you could see all the codecs though (and even though I had removed a few through add/remove programs they were still there =O )

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Audio

All of the codecs, including video strangely, were listen there.

13. Dela

Well thats a definite one to remember now!! Thnx ;-)