1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

component compatibility

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kinza, Apr 3, 2005.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

Can someone check this configuration please? Just wanted to make sure all of these parts are compatible with each other. THANKS!!

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-390&depa=1

PNY GeForce4 MX 440 / 64MB / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out /
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1057516&CatId=0

Soltek "SL-75FRN2-RL" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-039&depa=1

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-440&depa=1

Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BNS Black ATX Mid Tower Case -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-147&depa=1

Rosewill 450W Dual Fan Power Supply, Model "RV450" -RETAIL
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-182-008&depa=1

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

appears to be ok but why the 64 meg video card??

3. haimback

haimback Regular member

lol i know why - look at the price in the link, cheap as chips as we say in the uk

4. ddp

i saw the price but just wonder, thats all

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

thanks for the insult haimback. when someone is 14 years old they don't have loads of money, and even if i did have a lot of money i wouldn't choose to waste it on a $500 video card. i chose that video card because i didn't need an expensive card, i don't play any games and i don't intend to watch video on my computer. anyways, thanks for the check.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Everything looks compatable, but I am with ddp on this one. Don't over look the video card. People tend to put a lot into Processor speed and Ram, but believe it or not your system will always run smoother and faster with a decent video card. If moneys the problem you could drop down the processor speed and invest in a good video card, and not a 500$ one but at least one with 128MB DDR memory. You will not regret it!!

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Now your list looks ok, and appears compatible.
    You could have a browse over ebay for those exact items and save yourself some money and therefore plum for a slightly better graphics card, or even just look for a graphics card there.

I know money is tight, but you can pickup a bargain on ebay, you just need to be methodical when placing a bid - set a limit and stick to it.

I also agree with bbmayo regarding the graphics card, however if you are on a budget, then it will get you started, however do keep in mind that compared with the other specifications of your system the graphics card controls the graphical reprentation of the whole package, and alot of wierd problems occur with 'cheaper' video cards such as freezing, and slow page refreshes.............so a 128mb card would be the thing to look for as your first upgrade when the 'dinero' funds have built up.............

8. haimback

haimback Regular member

Sorry if you took that the wrong way - if something is cheap as chips it's a good thing!
    : )

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Council tax and cheap as chips - those words will never appear in any statement in the UK.........

10. kinza

kinza Regular member

sorry haimback, truly am, my sincerest apologies. i live in the US, so i thought something else of it. you guys have encouraged me to get a 128 mb card, any suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

13. kinza

kinza Regular member

i was going to get the 5200 at first but i chose the 64 mb card because i didn't think i needed a better one. how about a mobo with onboard nvidia graphics and an agp slot incase i decide to upgrade?

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That would work also.

15. haimback

haimback Regular member

@ baabaa
    Too true mate but being a student i dont pay it!!! :)
    BTW not sure if i agree with everyone on the graphic card front, he's not playing games or using video why would he need more than 64mb card?Remeber AGP uses system RAM, really cant see why he would 128mb.The comp im using to post this is using an ATI Radeon 8500 64mb and iv never had any probs with it,most recent game i bought was lord of the rings BFME and it struggled with it- but still ran it at lowest settings.If kinza isnt planning to use the comp for gamming i just dont see the need.

16. ddp

if onboard video than it uses part of main ram other than that uses it's own ram whether 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 96, 128, 256 & 512? meg.

17. haimback

haimback Regular member

hey ddp,
    AGP card will use system RAM - which has good and bad points.Its good because as i mentioned you dont need loads of on board memory if your not planning on gamming, its bad because companys like pc world will sell you a system and tell you its a gamming machine but it has a crap graphics card and uses up all your system RAM. When AGP first came out that was its biggest selling point over PCI - it could give direct access to main memory and resolved the pci bottleneck.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

haimback

You can't use what you don't have. His card even after the rebate plus shipping and tax will equate to $33.54 let's say if shipped to my address in Florida. The GeForce 5200 will actually be only $19.95 more after all is said and done. Faster refresh rates, and the ability to use it when needed is well worth another $20 bucks, not to mention resale down the road. That's like saying why go with the processor he is requesting when a Pentium III will also get the job done. We are not talking about hundreds of dollars here.

19. haimback

haimback Regular member

@ ScubaBud
    Cant argue with that mate, having a little bit exta wont hurt, just pointing out there isnt a huge differece between 64mb and 128mb as far as video cards go.Not really the same as comparing cpu's though he could be running huge programs that dont have any need for a fancy interface (i do at uni all the time).

20. ddp

the agp was/is connected to the bus speed at even 1x agp card was 66mhz whereas the pci was stuck at 33mhz