1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compressing cda's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by thetomguy, Feb 26, 2005.

1. thetomguy

thetomguy Member

Am new to creating cd's playable on car or other radio/cd player. Am doing dialogue, vocal vs music. My mike of course recorded in .wav format, and Roxio created cd in cda format, which is around 50mb per 5 minutes.

Switching to mp3 means in takes a computer to listen to (or, is this the mode of Walkmans or whatever is used today?). I would like the greatest flexibility of listening modes.

Mainly: If I convert from wav to mp3, compressing it, and then convert to cda, will that cda be a smaller file than if it is converted directly from wav?

Seeing that mp3 is "lossy", the file should be at least a little smaller. Or ..... is compressing cda's possible if they are still be be played on radio/cd players?

2. billwebso

billwebso Guest

The size of your CDA will be the same no matter what file format or size is. CDA is based on time not kbps. You would need a cd player that supported MP3 playback to fit more than approx 74 minutes of music on a disc.

3. thetomguy

thetomguy Member

Thanks for the reply.

O.K., if traditional radio/cd players are up against the fixed cda time limit, then tell me this: Being not of the sounds-fixation generation, I have missed a cycle or so, thus have no idea what formats/media the most widely used systems of today employ. Most today, I suppose, are pocket portables and use memory chips?

I know it used to be cd's. Are pocket cd players still around? If so, do they now play mp3's?

I have current means to burn cd's and dvd's. Which of these would have the widest listener base today? And in what format? I would like to use either cd's or dvd's so that I could also also format for computer listening.

Thanks again

4. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Mp3 players have not yet taken over the market. You can buy "pocket" CD players. Such as the sony discman that will play CD's with mp3 files on them. Just look for the "MP3 compatable" on the packaging. My car CD player supports mp3 files for example. Almost all newer at home DVD players will play DVD's or CD's with mp3 files on them.

When making an mp3 disc, you choose the make data disc as opposed to make music disc on most of your DVD/CD burning software.

You could listen to either a CD or DVD with mp3 files on your computer.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

look at sticky for encoding setup.

pocket CD players ?
    did you meant MD ?
    as i know, MD is dead, all due to flash based and harddrive based players...

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Just to clarify. CDA is not an audio fomat (or codec). You can't convert to CDA. CDA is a file pointer (shortcut) used in Window$ Explorer to tell the O$ where a track begins and/or another ends. Notice the file size of a typical .CDA file (1 KB)!

Link to CDA exp:
    http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=cda

Not trying to flame (anybody) just spreadin the knowledg,
    Ced