1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Crashes when making music Files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Terre, May 4, 2004.

1. Terre

Terre Member

I just bought an Optorite DVD+-/RW Drive. I am using Windows XP Operating System.

Whenever I use any software to make an audio cd with mp3 files, it stops after 10% and the buffer falls to zero, wasting the disc. This happens everytime. I use Nero 5 and MusicMatch.

I find no problem doing a CD copy or DVD copy, but only when copying files from the Harddisk. Please Help! Is it something to do with the Hardware?or software?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

One possible reason could be that when decoding mp3 files on the fly while burning, decoding speed is lower than burning speed and you get buffer underrun problems. Try decoding the mp3 files to .wav first, e.g. using foobar2000's diskwriter or lamedrop. (You can use foobar2000 directly to burn audio CDs if you have Nero installed - you need foo_burninate.dll component. It decodes to temporary .wav files before burning. Lowering burning speed with Nero might help too. If both doesn't help, try another burning software like Burrrn or Burnatonce (both free).

3. Terre

Terre Member

I tried using the lowest speed possible and it still happens.

Actually, using Nero 5, the CDR doesn't even start ripping. the small buffer at the bottom is not even highlighted. After 20 seconds, my computer will hang for a few seconds, then ok for a few seconds and hang again, then ok..repeats until i switch the computer off. Looking at the computer usage, its running at 100% when all this is happenning.

Using Musicmatch, the first song is ok, then at 10%, it stops. But it doesn't hang the computer.

Can it be something to do with Virtual Memory? Should I increase it and try it?

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.8 Ghz, with 1GB RAM. if it helps

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You're talking about "ripping" (=extract audio e.g. to .mp3 from an audio CD) in your second post. I hope this is a typo, otherwise please explain again what exactly you're trying to do.

Have you tried what I suggested in my 1st post besides changing burning speed (decode to .wav, use other burning software)? You should at least give Burrrn a try. It's free, no nasty spyware or other system-takeover attempts, you drag'n'drop the mp3 files to the interface and press "Burrrn" button.

I don't know how Nero handles Memory when burning mp3s to audio CD on the fly and I can't tell if changing Virtual Memory settings can help. Last time I used it for this purpose I didn't have any problems (Must have been Nero 5.x, Win2k, Athlon TB 1.3GHz, 512MB RAM, 768MB Virtual RAM or similar).

BTW: Is it possible that there's some configuration problem with your drives, IDE cables etc. (correct master/slave jumper settings; try to connect burner + HDD to different IDC channels (= cables), make sure that DMA is enabled in system settings for the burner (if supported).

5. Terre

Terre Member

Yeah...sorry...its a typo!

I'ved downloaded burrrn and will try it out.

Thanks alot

6. Terre

Terre Member

Hey tigre,

Thanks for your help! found out what the problem is, its the IDE cables. Apparently when I connect them in an order, it seems to work.

Anyway, thanks for all yer help!cheers