1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer shuts down.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dashley45, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Please help, :( I have tried everything to get my computer to back up DVD's, I have shrink, dvd decripter, ect ect. My computer is running XP home, with all the bells and whistles, ie, 2Gig ram, 200 meg hardrive, duel core intel processor ect ect. When I put a DVD into the CD/DVD writer combo and say try using shrink, it reads the disc and then gets to the point where u have to click back-up. Here it starts and runs for about 5 mins and my computer shuts down. I have tried all the normal things like, is the processor overheating ect. I have tried different codec pack to no avail.
    Please can someone help me? Im now desperite.
    Thanks

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Hey dashley45 and welcome to aD. Right, let's get down to business.

Now, firstly, I know the backup isn't completing before the PC shuts down, but have you made sure you have this box unticked when you come to the "Back-Up" box...

[​IMG]

Also, are you running lots of other processes whilst backing up? What dvd are you backing up?

3. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Hello Ripper
    Yes I do have the button turned off so the computer shouldnt shut down. The DVD'S Im trying to copy range from bought ones to dare I say it, but any really lol . I tried to make a movie the other day that I downloaded from the net, just a comedian thing my son wanted. When I used nero, and tried to make a DVD in Neron, it did the same thing, just starts to rip and shuts down.
    Thanks

4. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Hey there. Welcome. What version of nero are you using? Is this only happening when you do this w/ shrink or has nero done this before? There are certain dvds that are not compatible w/ shrink. However nero certainly can be a troublesome issue. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/492679
    You need to rip your dvds with http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvdfab_decrypter.cfm
    You can use this method or go to payed method with slysoft using anydvd and clonedvd2 Either one will work. Rip with dvdfab and then pull it into shrink. I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2007
  5. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Thanks Bahgee.
    I have tried a few different ripping programs and it still does the same thing. I have tried DVD Fab as well, still shuts down when it starts ripping.
    Thanks

6. bahgee

bahgee Guest

I believe there is some other issue at work. Be patient and someone with more knowledge may be able to help you. At what point exactly does it shut down? What steps specifically do you take?

7. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

DVD Fab, Santa, DVD Cloner, DVD Dycryper and a few others i cant remember the names.

8. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Lets say I am trying to back up a DVD I have bought, nothing fancy like a Sony or anything. I use shrink which worked well on my old PC. I load the disc, and click on open disc which it does fine. then i click backup and it starts. After about 5 mins, my computer shuts down. Thats about it, its done in it all other programs as well.
    Cheers

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Do you get any messages come up before it shuts down from either Shrink or Windows? Or does it just shut down automatically?

10. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

No message Ripper, at all, just shuts down. I then have to restart.

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

How much space do you have on your HDD? Can you check in tash manager how much CPU is being used whilst the process is taking place?

Have you run thourough virus and spyware scans?

12. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Plenty space, about 120 gigs, I have checked the CPU as well and seems to be fine. I have got Nod32 running all the time and I use adaware everyday for spyware.

13. bahgee

bahgee Guest

Do you have any Roxio products? Is this the first time you have done any backing up on this pc? Does it shut down the pc or just the program? If its the programs, uninstall it all and re-install it. This is a new one for me. Thats all i can suggest at this point. Do process of elimination. Good luck bro. Go ahead and reply and Ill ask around.
    ps.Is it a shrink when it goes dead?

14. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Thanks for trying
    It happens with any of the programs I have tried. Yes it is the first time I have tried with this computer. I can burn a music cd and make a data dvd, but thats all. Everytime I try and do a movie, it just shuts down. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the prgrams as we. I waswondering if it was maybe a codec that I needed that could cause this.

15. attar

attar Senior member

If you monitored the CPU temp and are satisfied that isn't the problem, then boot into safe mode and try one of your procedures (DVD Shrink perhaps) see if it goes to completion.
    If it fails, then you know it isn't a software conflict, because nothing else will be running at that point.

16. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  17. dashley45

dashley45 Guest

Sorry, I missed that, I dont have any roxy products on my PC

18. rab48124

rab48124 Regular member

sombody will have an answer soon.hang in there

19. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What did you use to moniter the CPU temp?
    did you use a program to see how hot it gets?

Also your Power supply might be causing the problem too?

does it shut down only when you encode/transcode?

20. Bobby728

Bobby728 Member

Its a new PC?I wonder if I'm just being paranoid ,but i wonder if Microsoft is working with the movie industries?Is It possible that Microsoft is embedding software or a chip to stop people from ripping or burning copy protected movies?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007