1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mayopan, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mayopan

mayopan Member

Alright, so I lent my computer to a friend to do taxes, then he brings it back, after it running just fine, and tells me when he turns it on, it doesn't do anything, but make an odd noise.

So, when it gets turned on, you can hear the fan straining, but I'm not sure that's the problem. Things I did to see if they were the problem: I disconnected both hard drives, and nothing. All I get is the fan making this horrid noise.

Does anyone know what's up?

WinXPsp2
    1gig RAM
    120GB & 160GB HDD

2. gamer17

gamer17 Regular member

disconnect everything so that just the motherboard, powersupply, ram, and processor, monitor, keyboard, mouse connected. (just disconnect the hard drives, cd drives, floppy, pci cards) turn it on and if the monitor shows anything at all then its good to go and your hard drive just need to reformat or get a new hard drive. if it doesnt show anything then its most likely one of two things the power supply or the motherboard needs to be replaced. if its not the motherboard or powersupply then its going to be the memory next. and if its not the memory then its the processor. i would bring it to a local computer store and have them fix it because then you wouldnt have to buy a motherboard or something and then bring it home and try it and have it be something else that needs to be replaced instead. hope you fix it. latez

3. mayopan

mayopan Member

Hey thanks man... it wound up being my power supply.

Lucky enough, I had an extra one sitting around. Cheers.