1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer won't boot ???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by qwerty977, May 5, 2007.

1. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

When I shut my computer off last night it would not close even after I tryed end task. When I tryed to boot my computer up now it starts to load but than goes to a black screen. It won't load in safe mode either.

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

does the bios see the hd? do you have a spare hd to load windows on to retrieve info off sick hd so can format sick hd & ghost spare hd onto sick hd?

3. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

At first it said primary hard drive unknown. Now it reconizes the hard drive.

4. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

hard drive might be dying so backup your info just in case.

5. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

try a repair install with a full windows disk (I dont think youd be able to do it with the recovery disk that comes with a computer), if when you go to do it, you dont see the option to repair install after it looks for windows installations, get a hard drive enclosure, put your hard drive in it, back up what you need onto another computer, put the drive back in the computer, and reformat and reinstall windows (make sure you have your xp cd key)

6. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

I have an old harddrive off my emachine computer. Its a trigem brand model number sv0643a. The emachine ran windows 98 second edition. Do you think this harddrive is compatiable on my dell 4300 so I can see if my present harddrive is done.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

8. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

You think the hard drive might work on my dell?

9. ddp

yes

10. Rejected5

Rejected5 Member

This problem happens alot, its basically an electronic corruption, this means that the Ide cable's informationn flow was corrupted in suck a fashion to damage the stable constant flow. So just unplug all additional IDE devices, take out the ram, then turn the computer on, and turn off hten re connect everything...

11. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

When I put the old hard drive in and started my computer it said these files were missing and would not boot.
    C:/CDROM/OAKCDROM.SYS
    C:/Windows/HIMEN.sys
    C:/windows/IFSHLP.SYS
    c:/windows/DBLBUFF.SYS

12. ddp

what windows are you using?

13. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

On the dell it's xp on the hard drive is windows 98 second edition

14. ddp

what you posted above "16. May 2007 @ 21:02" appears to be from win98. are you going to use the win98 hd as master or slave? if master then might not see info off xp hd as it might be in ntfs format compared to the win98 hd which is fat32 format. will need to load xp onto win98 hd before able to see info on xp hd.

15. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

I don't want to use the hard drive with the windows 98 second edition on it. If the problem on my dell is because of the hard drive than i'll buy a new hard drive. Do you think the hard drive is causeing the problems?

16. ddp

reseat the cables to the drives & motherboard. also if can replace the data cable to drive this way can see if drive still causes error or problem was fixed. could also be software problem as in windows but doubt it if bios did see the hd as an unknown.