1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer won't start

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theboltz, Jan 17, 2007.

1. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

I recently moved, and turned my computer off and disconnected it. When I went to set it up at the new place I got a message saying NTLDR is missing, I called Dell And they told me to insert my windows disc, I did that but my cd rom wouldn't start. I went to f2 at start up and cannot find any cd roms, I have two burners a NEC 3550 and A Samsung 16x with lightscribe, neither one of these show as working. Any suggestions? Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.

2. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

Try reseting your CMOS and see what happens. If there is no luck the try the burners on another computer .

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat the rom data cables as it might have popped off during the move

4. lil1

lil1 Member

Yes try reseating the cables as ddp suggested. Go into cmos, boot sequence make cd rom first boot. insert windows disk, select repair, then fix(mbr) master boot record.

5. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

I can't get into computer at all. When I went to F2 start up menu it doesn't even show that I have cd drives. I took the cable off and replugged it in, no luck. I bought a new cable and it was to short so I just tried one burner and it still didn't show up. Could it be the motherboard? I just can't figure it out. The hard drive is only a few months old, it is a 120gig Seagate. Computer is a Dell Optiplex Gx240 and is a hand me down, it is about 5 yrs. old.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  6. iani_2006

iani_2006 Regular member

Do think that you maight have cracked the board when you were connecting the IDE cables to the motherboard ?

7. lil1

lil1 Member

Could be the MB but lets try a few things first. Make sure the primary & secondary IDE is set to auto detect, also make sure the power cables are pluged into all devices in case securely Dell has been known for faulty Mb

8. ddp

iani_2006, almost impossible to crack a board when installing cables unless you use brute force.

9. xbocker

xbocker Guest

this is not a FAULTY HARDWARE PROBLEM this problem is common. For more info please post this question at http://www.i'manidiot.com edited by ddp which is a newly built computer forum site. NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  10. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

The one thing that baffles me is the floppy drive works, just not the cd rom. If it was the motherboard would the floppy work?

11. ddp

floppy drive is not ide as it has own controller chip on motherboard. also floppy uses a 34 pin cable compared to ide 40 pin.

12. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

Managed to get cd rom started but when I put in my windows cd I get a disc error. Any suggestions? Thanks

13. ddp

what is the error?

14. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

It just says disc error. Could be my copy got corupted.

15. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

probably, best bet try another copy.

16. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

Hi, just thought I would say thanks. My desk top is still down, but I found an error that I hadn't seen before HTDETECT failure. I went on line and bought a windows recovery disc, when it gets here I will try and run that. Wish me luck.

17. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

I haven't received my recovery disc's yet, but the good news is I am up and running. I used my Seagate diagnostics and Seagate disk wizard and after running them a few times and several errors I finally got my windows xp to load and everything started to work. Only problem is I lost everthing on my hard drive, but that is a small price to pay since I was down for a month.