1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversion from Divx AVI to mpeg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ryan423, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ryan423

ryan423 Member

I know this question has probably been asked oh about a million times, but when I try to open it with TMPGenc, it says it cannot open or unsupported. What is that supposed to be? I'm trying to burn this divx avi movie onto a cd with nero, but when nero encodes, the files size increases by about 300 megabytes, therefore making it 1000mb which cannot fit on a cd. If there are links anywhere in the forum, Can you please direct me to it so that I can follow the instructions. According to Gspot, my video codec is DivX 5.0. Audio codec is mp3. So how can I burn this onto a cd using the mpeg format :(. Thanks in advance.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

1) cannot open or unsupported = you miss a codec (the DivX codec, in this case. Even the freeware/trialware version is valid, to DECompress movies...it's the COmpression feature thet cannot be used by freeware users).

2) (how did you find that the movie becomes so large if you don't have the codec? It's the usual lousy use of Nero as movies' encoder instead of a simply use of Nero as a of mpeg-1 --> VCD or mpeg-2 --> SVCD maker, I assume) Yes, but according to the method I posted on http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106. only 80' VCD movie (800 MB) fit on 1 CD. You have to 'select range' and create CD1 and CD2 (or use the KVCD templates [read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272] - I don't use them because I don't like the little quality they lose - to make more or less 120' movie fit in a KVCD).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  3. ryan423

ryan423 Member

Oh thanks I just rememberd that I deleted the trial version of divx. So what program do you suggest that I burn the movie onto the cd. I found that the movie increased 300 megabytes extra because after nero encoded it, and I inserted a blank cd in, it says not enough space. But if I don't have the codec, then how am I able to see the movie. Very strange.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

As I wrote in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/110106 (Step 1.c), you need to TMPGenc ____Select Range (or TMPGenc File___MPEG Tools___Merge & Cut) to split the mpeg into 2 so then every piece is less than 80' )for a SVCD, a little bit more, depending on the VBR you use, see http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm for a detail guide to use FitCD, consider about 50').
    Burning? As long the file has already been encoded, even Nero goes well (or VCDEasy which even let you to add chapters, or VCDGear but it won't let you to add the picture 'please insert disc2' at the end of the 1ast CD).
    Therefore: if the movie is an AVI: encode it twice, with select range (CD1: 0--> F; CD2: F+1--->end (-1 by default); F=frame)
    if the movie is an already encoded MPG: TMPgenc File__Mpeg Tools__Merge & Cut (CD1: 0--> mm:ss:p; CD2: mm:ss:p+1--->end ; p = percentage [I think]: p=0-99)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. ryan423

ryan423 Member

Ok. Now I ran into some more problems. I used TMPGenc, and when I did the conversion and splitting, it worked fine, but apparently no audio was coming in the converted movie. I don't know why because the divx movie is encoded in mp3 format. Anyway, I used virtualdub to make a .wav file of the movie, and on the first cd, it worked fine. No audio problems. But on the second cd, the audio was about 5 seconds late. :( what do i do? Also, when I tried buring the first cd, it was fine, but at the very end (i used nero) it said it couldn't complete the disc at once method. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Help please.

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I don't know why the DAO cannot be completed. If the .BIN image size is less than 360,000 * 2352 bytes (on a 80' CD-R) [or if the movie length is < 80') it should work...re-try using a CD-RW, if the movie fits on a 80' CD-R.
    Problem on the audio: somatimes also I found corrupt movies which gave short audio than the video (e.g. 48' audio from a 55' video), when I used VirtualDub. The only thing I could do is to use a subtitle with BSPlayer (or 'by ear' as you did) to check the audio (and to calculate how many seconds the audio was off-sync with the video)than to edit the uncompressed WAV with EAC adding silence to the WAV file untill the whole movie was in sync with the audio. In fact, usually you ahould have a fixed out-of-sync (if only 1 corrupt point is present), in this case (1 corrupt point which gives a constant loss-of-sync on the audio), and only in this case, the audio problem can be, it's hard but it can, solved.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  7. ryan423

ryan423 Member

What if I can encode the whole movie witout splitting it initially, then after it's encoded in mpeg, can I then split it. I don't think the audio will be off then. Could you please re explain how to fix it, because I didn't get your last post. Thanks.

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Extract the big, uncompressed WAV with VirtuaDub (Audio___Full processing mode).
    Open Exact Audio Copy . Do Tools__Process WAV.. (CTRL+E) and load the BIG file. In the process WAV window, nowm there should be an 'insert silence ' command or domething like that.
    Insert silence, save the WAV. If you inserted the right 'silence' the WAV will be now in-sync with the movie, with a little part which is 'mute' .

9. ryan423

ryan423 Member

I'm curious as to why I have to go to so much trouble just to get the movie in mpeg. Is there an alternate solution to this or is this just it?

10. ryan423

ryan423 Member

OK you like really totally lost me. How do I open the audio file, because really it has an option to open a video file. Can you please show me a more user friendly way to convert divx to mpeg with audio in it and in sync? This is confusing me.

11. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, it is un-friendly because it was the AVI which was wrongly made.
    Start TMPGenc as always you do, then press 'Stop'. After sayng it 'yes, do it', in the 'audio source' line which is at the bottom of the widow, where the movie name should be, load pressing 'browse' the big, uncompressed WAV you made with VirtualDub , then click 'start' again (of course, overwrite the previous file). This new mpeg now will be IN-SYNC (complain with that AVI's maker, not with me).

12. ryan423

ryan423 Member

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you but this is a pretty hard way to burn avi's. I'm curious as to why people would encode movies in avi instead of in mpeg. That way it can be burnt onto a cd. Anyhoo, I will try to understand what you're saying here and I'll do it.

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

An average (2h, 120') movie in MPEG-1 (VCD) = 1200 MB. If it is in MPEG-2 (SVCD) = 2400 MB (this more or less: VCD is ConstantBitRate - CBR and the result is exact, SVCD is VBR). AVI compression (with good codecs: DivX or Xvid, method: multipass [Multipass XXX kbps gives you the same quality of 1-pass XXX kbps and less final size]): depending on the bitrate (quality) you choose (more pixels of the staring movie = you need a higher bitrate): from 500 to 900 MB (seldom, very seldom, out of this range).
    The problem is that codec settings are difficult to perform (for this reason you have error in the audio, for instance; MPEG-1 settings are trivial (also for MPEG-2: you have to fix the [average,min,max] bitrate: it is only a question of choosing the *final movie's projected size*, in average you try to fit the movie in 3 CD-R and fix the MPEG-2 bitrate according to it).
    Does this explain all to you?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  14. ryan423

ryan423 Member

yeah I understand it now. I've still yet to encode my movie into mpeg as I'm not gettin the time. Another question, do dvd players play .avi movies or do they read divx or xvid files or something?

15. ryan423

ryan423 Member

Where can I find this option. Are you talking about TMPGenc or VirtualDub because in virtual dub I can only open video files. Can you help please.

16. ryan423

ryan423 Member

Ok can anyone help me out with this and where can I find the program options for my previous post and in which program. That is all I'm asking, if anyone could help please.

17. lanet

lanet Member

Ryan423,

I am also new to this whole encoding/re-encoding/ burning process and can empathise with your frustrations. But take heart, it can be done and the results are generally excellent.

Heres how I did (and still do) it.

[bold]Software.[/bold] The following is the software i had to install to get everything working. These may not be the best software but they work for me.

- Divx codex's
    - AC3filter
    - DirectX 9 (audioconverter requires this)
    - Audioconverter
    - TMPGenc
    - Nero

[bold]Extract the audio from the AVI file using audioconverter.[/bold]
    I use all the default options and it creates a WAV file in the same directory as the AVI

[bold]convert the AVI/WAV file to an MPG file using TMPGenc.[/bold]
    I use the wizard with the following options:

(Page 1/5) - select Video-CD - PAL - CBR standard format

(Page 2/5) - Video File - select the AVI file,
    Audio File - select the WAV file
    ASpect Ratio - 4:3 625 line PAL

(Page 3/5) - For short files (TV shows) I just click Next

(Page 4/5) - I generally just click next

(Page 5/5) - I generally just click OK

It then asks if you want to create the file (well duh) I click OK

it then run off and does its thing for about an hour. At the end of which I have a (hopefully) fully functional MPG file. Open it and ensure it a: plays video and b: plays audio.

[bold]Burning to CD[/bold]

I start NERO and from the New Compilation window I choose Video CD. I change the Encoding to PAL and click NEW

I then drag the MPG file to the VCD1 window and click BURN. It does its thing for a while and when complete have a perfectly usable VCD.

I have burnt dozens of shows this way and have had very few failures.

Hope this helps.

Now if I can just find a simple way of creating a KVCD :)

Tim

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  18. lanet

lanet Member

[bold]do dvd players play .AVI movies or do they read divx or xvid files or something?[/bold]

I have never seen on that plays AVI or DIVX, although a mate of mine has one where you can download codex to some sort of flash memory and he claims to be able to play them!! I've never seen this myself, should get him to put up or shut up :)

Mine plays WMV files but the quality is so poor its not worth burning a CD to do so.

The best way I have found (if you dont have a DVD burner) is to create a VCD.

Tim