1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

macmic..try the free version VSO DivxToDVD..ITS FASTER then the Demeo

2. macmic

macmic Guest

Thanks Rick, but I'm more concerned about quality than speed. :)

Anyway, the three proggies I've tried for conversion from PAL to NTSC;
    Nero Vision (Nero 7), VSO DivxToDVD, and Canopus ProCoder 2.

DivxToDVD was the fastest, about 25 minutes.
    Nero about 40 minutes, and,
    Procoder about 3hrs 40 minutes.

Quality-wise, Nero was unwatchable,
    DivxToDVD was reasonably good,
    but Procoder was excellent, and that is what I'll be using from now on.

Mac

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@macmic..Well thats good,but the quality is good also.As U know you cannot improve on the quality of what you already have,all U can do is hopefully loose as little as possible
    Procoder works well
    So does AVI2DVD By TrustFm

4. csham1023

csham1023 Member

I have procoder 2 now... and I tried to convert a PAL to NTSC, and it gave me an estimate of something ridiculous...like 90 hours!!!!

What am I doing wrong??

Converting a drama movie (not sure if i'm allowed to mention titles?)
    I have a computer thats only a year old, and has plenty of power.
    Athlon XP pushing 2300, with 1 GB of RAM.

Can somebody help?

5. tort

tort Guest

I tried Procoder 2 myself, the BEST I've found so far is Sony Vegas, it does the best NTSC/PAL conversion I've been able to find anywhere.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well on My System it only takles about 3 hours to encode a 2 hour Movie useing Canopus Procoder....Make sure you aren"t doing a 2 Pass encode as it will take Twice as Long....

7. Trom

Trom Regular member

For those of you who would still like a complete walkthrough/guide I came across the following guide for both PAL>NTSC and NTSC>PAL, http://www.ntsc2pal.hostrocket.com/. It does use AVISynth script's and a lot of apps(all but 1 free) but its worth a look.

8. Trom

Trom Regular member

The guide I referred to is just too complicated for me so I am going to go with Minion's advice and use procoder 2 converting the PAL movie to NTSC VOB files. However I still have a couple of questions.

1. When I convert the Video Files to NTSC how do I re-join the audio files I demuxed with TMPGEnc.

2. Having done 1, I will end up with 2 folders to burn to DVD, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Will I still have to shrink the movie to fit on a DVD-R using the DVD-RB/CCE method for instance or should I do this before I demux/convert. Which is the best way to proceed.

Addittion:
    I am really not doing well with this. Just so you know where I'm at i will outline the steps I am taking. Firstly I rip the DVD in file mode to my HD using DVDDecrypter. I now have the main movie(which is all I am interested in) in 5(mpeg-2) files, 4 with a size of 1,048,574kb and the 5th a smaller file. I now load the first mpge-2 file into TmpgEnc and use the "Mpeg Tools" to run a simple de-multiplex on the file ending up with a video and an audio file. However when I run the video file through Procoder2-wizard(convert to NTSC-MPEG) I always end up with a larger output file than the one I input meaning when I use TmpgEnc's mpeg tools to run a simple multiplex on the output file and the audio file I previously created from de-multiplexing the original file, the end result is that the audio is out of sync. I have tried changing the output stream format from Procoder 2 to DVD(VOB Files) in the advanced output settings but this results in me getting 2 video files from the 1 Video input file, I could never hope to match up the audio file with these. I cannot figure out where I am going wrong and would appericate some pointers.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ Trom..Why are U useing TmpgEnc to seperate Audio & Video..This is un-necessary..as procoder 2..will do it all & keep it at a proper size.. just import all VOB's..if U get all the VOB's in ProCoder..& make the proper adjustments on the right side
    The very easiest method is to use VSO Divx to DVD..JUST IMPORT ALL Vob's by holding down the shift key & start with your last Vob first 7,6,5,4 etc this puts your movie in proper order..the finished product is impressive

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  10. Street

Street Member

I have procoder 2 now... it gave me an estimate of something ridiculous...like 90 hours!!!!

Yeah some of these conversions are so intricate and time consuming that I think you could pretty much buy a screenplay, pitch it to Studio execs, hire the cast, shoot, edit and be at your premiere in less time than it takes to re-render 1.5 gig of existing media.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ Street..Very true..but a little more costly

12. Trom

Trom Regular member

Thanks Rick, will give it a whirl.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Trom..GOOD LUCK..Just a suggestion..Why not try VSO Divx to DVD 1st..use a rw/dvd..just to have a look see..cause however long your movie is,it won't take any longer to convert it

14. Trom

Trom Regular member

Yes I saw that software mentioned earlier on in this thread and it looked pretty easy to do a PAL>NTSC conversion but I do not have it. I think I will stick with your first sugestion regarding Procoder(as I have it) for now and if it still defeats me I'll download VSO DivX to DVD and take it from there. Thanks again for the input.

One thing I might mention is the reason I was using TmpgEnc to split the mpeg file into audio and video was I read earlier in this thread that Procoder cannot handle the audio in VOB files.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Trom..Not so it does an excellent job..just a little time consuming...but as any products go it can't make it better then the original[being the file your working with]

16. Street

Street Member

I've used and liked both Procorder and DivxtoDVD. Folks who want a one-button solution have to accept that they're getting a compromise end result--no matter what product they use.

17. DruidCtba

DruidCtba Member

18. grafic

grafic Member

Hello

Im trying to convert an Interlaced PAL mpg to NTSC for authoring to DVD.

Minion's methods seem the best but when using Assume(23.976,true) and then doing a pulldown to get back to 29.97 fps I find this makes the video longer than the original. I can stretch the audio to match with no problem but I need the converted copy to be the exact same length as the original copy.

At the moment I am doing the following:

Re-sizing and De-interlacing (using DGbob) with AVISYNTH
    Creating a Progressive m2v file using TMPGenc (noninterlaced at 25fps)
    Finaly I use DGPulldown to convert from 25 to 29.97 drop

The result is the same length video, syncs up with my audio files with no problems and appears ok quality.

However,
    I don't really understand the pulldown process and am not sure if DGPulldown is simply duplicating frames or not. Can anyone Help me out here?

Is DGPulldown the best way to go here or can anyone else offer a better solution?

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you use AVISynth with the audio also it will Stretch the audio allong with the Video so they are the Same Length.....

The "AssumeFPS" command for Converting Pal to NTSC will not work Properly on Interlaced Pal Video unless you De-Interlace it before you use the "AssumeFPS" Command and then add the 3:2 Pulldown....

20. grafic

grafic Member

I not only need them the same length I also need them to be the same length as the original so as the times on the DVD sleeve don't need to be changed.

I tried using the AssumeFPS command (with encrusted audio) as the last line in the avs file just after DGbob and got the two files the same length but the video part had been stretched and the audio not.(there was silence inserted at the end of the audio file)

Do I need to first produce a progressive file, then do the process again using AssumeFPS?

Also, am I kidding myself trying to convert from 25fps to 29.97 using DGpulldown? or does this make a good conversion?