1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting MKV

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by catsrus, Apr 8, 2007.

1. catsrus

catsrus Guest

Hi newbie here, so be gentle with me.

Downloaded film with a "mkv" extension, film is fine but the problem is with the conversion.

Was told that " DVD Santa " would convert it but when i downloaded the prog all i get is a logo on the film with the word DEMO, apart from buying the prog is there another way round it, or is there a freeware prog which will convert MKV to dvd format?
    Also tried ConvertX to DVD, same problem, logos.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. catsrus

catsrus Guest

Thanks, but still not working, error message as soon as it starts converting, " Impossible conversion, this file contains an A/V stream we are unable to decode."

What next?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

VirtualDubMod's mkv support is out of date. For instance it can't handle native AVC streams.

Fact is that the old DivXtoDVD uses old builds of libavcodec/format, so it can't convert as many different formats as the newer ConvertXtoDVD. If they provided source/objs of the changes that they made, then it might be possible to use newer builds, but I tried a stock SVN ffmpeg compile awhile back and it didn't work.

Legally I would think that they need to provide full source code since they would have gpl features enabled. Then you could just download the ConvertX source and compile a build without watermarks.

Wrong forum for discussing DVD video encoding anyway.