1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting the Bin/Cue of a SVCD to avi/mpeg/divx etc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Balaam, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

What's the easiest way to do this? I have the bin/cue for an svcd, but I want it in mpeg/xvid/divx etc format so that I can watch it on my DVP642. I tried mounting the cue to my virtual drive with alcohol 120%, and copying and pasting the mpeg in the mpeg2 folder, but the video was distorted, vertically elongated.

Is there a program that will do this? Or is there a guide that will tell me in general how to go about doing this? I looked in the guide section, but by their titles at least, they all went forward, where as I want to go backwards, so to speak.

TIA

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

your burning the image the wrong way m8. load up nero and select 'burn image to disc', in the 'files of type' drop down menu select 'image file(*nrg,*iso,*cue)' then browse for the cue file and burn(4x or 8x will give the best burn quality)..its as easy as that.

why do you want to convert your svcd to another format anyway? the phillips dvp642 is capable of playing svcd discs so its a waste of time and quality to convert the file to anything else.

EDIT:. BTW you can also burn the image with alcohol 120% if nero isnt to your liking.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2005
  3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess I should have made myself clearer. My routine is to burn mpeg's and avi's to a rw dvd, and play them in my DVP, so I don't have to use up any disks permanently. I'd prefer not to use up any cd's for this, thats why I want to convert them back to mpegs, so I can just burn them to a dvd+rw.

I have no problem burning any of this stuff. My question is how I would go about getting an mpeg or whatever file type from these bin/cue's.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

easily done, you can use a program called 'isobuster' to do this, get it here:. http://www.isobusterdownload.com/isobuster_eng.zip

open isobuster then goto file>>open image file and browse for the bin image, now double click on the mpeg2 folder and you'll see 'AVSEQ01.MPG', right click on that and select the 'extract but filter only m2f2 mpeg frames' option, select where you want the file saved while leaveing the file name as avseq01.mpg(you can change the file name after youve extracted it) and your done.

cheerz

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Isobuster! of course! it's so obvious now that you said it, but it never crossed my mind. anyways, thank you very much for your help. :)

One other thing though. When I load up the svcd on my virtual drive with alcohol 120%, and play it with WMP, it plays in wide screen format. But when I play the mpeg I extracted with Isobuster, it's in 4:3 format. I know the original file is widescreen, and thats the way I'd prefer to watch it.

Any ideas there? thanks again

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

do you mean the file plays fullscreen with the black bars missing from top and bottom? or that it states the file is 4:3 but still plays back with black bars on the top and bottom? if its the latter then dont worry because all vcds and svcds are in fact 4:3. if not then i dont know what could have cause it because isobuster wont and cant change the aspect ratio of a file. i dunno man this has got me stumped, try it again and see if you get the same results, or try a different app like 'vcdeasy' or 'vcdgear' to extract the mpeg from bin and see if you get a different result, other than that i dont know what could be causing that, because as i said isobuster doesnt change the aspect ratio when you extract.

anyways lets us know how you get on.

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, it was weird. Earlier when I mounted the cue/bin with 120%, and played it with WMP, it played in wide screen with the black bars. But when I went through windows explorer to see what was inside the svcd, and opened the mpeg2 folder, while still using 120%, and selected the actual mpeg with either divx player or WMP, it just played as a simple 4:3, picture all the way to the top and bottom. Thats what made me think there was a different way to do it that would keep the black bars, and is the reason I started this thread.

After extracting the mpeg with ISObuster, both divx player and WMP still played the mpeg as regular 4:3, w/o the black bars. But I decided, what the hell, so I burned both mpegs from cd1 and cd2 to a dvd+rw, and my DVP642 plays them with the black bars on top and bottom.

So I'm stumped. Happy, but stumped. The story of my life really. :D

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

hmmmmmmmm that is strange, sorry m8 but i really dont know what it could be, if i find the cause tho i'll sure as hell give you a bell

lol i hear ya

9. scoops01

scoops01 Member

hi guys

i have d/led a films that is in 2 parts so it has 2 cue files and 2 bin files, what i would like to know is how i can get both parts onto one dvd.

i know it is better quality the way it is but i detest watching vcd and some of my dvd players don't play them

some help would br greatly appreciated
    cheers

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

- First, open a new thread, please, don't join to others.

- Second: usually VCDs are the most compatble ones (more than SVCDs). Strange your players cannot recognize them..

Third:
    ------
    [bold]VCDGear [/bold]
    bin [disc image] --> mpeg
    and you transfer both images into 2 mpegs (CD1.mpg and CD2.mpg, for instance)
    [bold]TMPGenc [/bold]
    File__Mpeg Tools __ Merge & Cut
    and you merge the 2 CDs into a full mpeg, for instance My-movie.mpg.
    Careful, sometimes a movie isn't pertectly split into 2 CDs, for instance, CD1.mpg and CD2.mpg could overlap. In this case you have to cut CDs.mpg before joining them.

Fourth.
    -------
    Now you can either put a VCD movie into a DVD (good) or re-encode the mpeg-1 into a mpeg-2 DVD movie (bad).
    Click http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ and choose the guide who fits for you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  11. scoops01

scoops01 Member

cheers dude

sorry for not starting a new thread still new at this and this was the only thread i could find relating to cue/bin files and i just got excited

will know next time mate