1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping a burned dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hijeff1, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hijeff1

hijeff1 Member

I have two dvd drives on my computer. One that is read only and the other is a dvd/cd burner. I have never had any problems backing up my store bought dvd's but when I try to copy a burned dvd the computer starts to read the dvd, and about after 5 min I get a error. This happens when I use either dvd drive. Is there a program that I need to copy burned dvd's or is it my dvd drives?

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

What program are you using to copy the copies? What brand of blank media are you using? Are you trying to copy "on the fly" or do you try to put it on the hardrive first?

Whitfield

3. hijeff1

hijeff1 Member

I have tried dvd shrink 3.2 and dvd decrypter. I even tried Nero 6. I am using Verbatim, philips, or Khypermedia dvds. I am tring to copy it onto my hard drive first. It seems to only happen when its a burned dvd. The error occurs in the reading the dvd. I can't seem to get past reading it when its a burned dvd.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What version of DVD DeCrypter are you using? Is it the newest one. There should be no problems making a backup of a backup, even if you used DVDxCopy before. Are these DVD's backup's of backup's or are they the home movie type?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Does it happen on any burned DVD or just certain ones--I think the Khypermedia is supposed to be crap--I haven't used it--but ScubaBud is right--should not be a problem--copies do not even have encryption--Try better media and make sure the copy works well in a stand alone DVD player, then try again.

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

hijeff, that is the reason why you should not use cheap media. Because when you need the data and it's not there, you'll kick yourself for not spending the extra 5 cents a disc. Do you have scratches on your copies? That might also prevent you from copying them. There is NO copy protection anymore on your ripped/burned DVD, so don't blame Decrypter or Shrink. It's a recovery operation now. You could try a friend's DVD burner. I was able to read DVDs on a new Plextor burner that would not read on an older NEC burner. You might try rinsing the DVD with mild soap under cold water to remove any oil or thumbprints too. Another idea that worked for me was putting the DVD in the refridgerator (not freezer!) and then trying to read it.

7. hijeff1

hijeff1 Member

The problem occurs nomatter what kind of burned dvd I am using. I will try to use a friends dvd player and see if that works, I'll let you guys know if it works out. Thanks

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

My guess would be media problem. To copy a backup all you should need is a burn utility (nero copy disc) to do the job since the css is already broken and there is no need for compression. You can use any copy/encoding software to do the job as well but there is no need.

Are the Verbatums Datalife Plus or just Verbatum? What are the MID codes of your medias?

9. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

I had this problem too, but it was because I was putting sticky labels on my dvd's. I was using CD stomper to put on labels. I read on here that that could cause read errors, so I took them off and the disks were fine again. Not sure if this has anything to do with you, but I thought I would add it, just in case you have used labels. Everyone was trying to tell me that I must have had bad media when I asked too, but that wasn't it at all.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Ya, a lot of people have problems with labels. I label all my backups with a neato applicator and generic labels and they all play fine in all my dvd players and the players of friends and family that borrow them. They also perform fine if I want to make another backup of a backup with a label on it. I don't know but as long as they work for me I'm not changing my ways unless I start having problems as well since I have a full 100pk spindle to use up that aren't inkjet printable and look almost like the original after I run them through my Epson R200. When I run out of those I will buy some inkjet printable Taiyo Yuden media.

I think the main reason I don't have any problems with labels is because I use only good, high quality, proven media.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  11. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Look at the drive your reading with first. First try read and write with burner possibly your primary read drive may be having problems reading D5 media. My Sony DDU1621 does not like them. Im running latest firmware. Sony DRU710A burner has no problems with D5 media average speed 5.7X. I still run decrypter on D5 media as .iso file. Either way your putting to hard drive first. You may want to run the media your trying to copy threw Nero quality test you mention nere 6 you should have it. Im kinda new to reading the info I tested. Reading at 4X speed. Verbatim(MCC004) 4X-8X burns get quality rating of 93 for me so I guess that's ok. Looks better than the Tiyo and maxell, had some Khypermedia burned from nec 3500 would not even get threw quality test errored out. But That disk also played fine in apex and xbox. All these ideas everyone is giving is great, also what works for some may not work for others.

Good Luck

Spacedust

12. kjmuscles

kjmuscles Member

It actually doesn't seem to matter how good the media is you use, when you are using CD stomper, which I am. I tried sony first, then verbatim data life plus, then ridata ro3, then ridata ricohjpnr01.

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

KYPERMEDIA IS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!

This is my opinion, I got 20 for Christmas one year, got 20 coasters a few weeks later. About half the times my computer would lock up as soon as it tried to recognize the disc and wouldn't eject. I had to shut down (a hard shutdown, not a nice one) and stick something in the hole to get the disc out. I will never let this crap near any of my computers again.

Try slowing down your burn speeds on your first backup next time??? Just a thought.

14. hijeff1

hijeff1 Member

I dont know why I didnt think of it, but I tried using my laptop and IT was able to rip the dvd's that my desktop couldnt. My laptop is a toshiba and my desktop is a dell. I think its the rom's in my desk top, what roms are good ones to READ burned dvd's?