1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Karen1971, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Karen1971

Karen1971 Guest

I read a thread, that would not allow me to post to because it was older then 60 days, and I am a new member; and I was wondering if the person who helped that last person might help me. I have several VHS tapes that I would like to put on DVD because they are no longer available to get, and I am afraid I might break the one I have. I read this post, and was wondering if it was as easy as it sounded and what a capture card was.

Post was

to djlen-in order to transfer vhs tapes to dvd you will need to install a capture card in your computer,you will need a conversion software like powerproducer-3 from gocyberlink.com and a good vcr.if memors serves me correct this program kills the copyright protection,if not you will need a clarifier from facetvideo.com,this is a small unit that kills copyright protection on vhs movies as the novie is sent to the capture card.

Thank you KC

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

basic - a capture card has the inputs like what is on the back of a TV. I have two in my computer and got them from here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/index.htm

I have had good luck with them, and you could buy one from your local computer store. This brand, or any you choose should work fine.

What it does, it turns your computer into a TV and Recorder. You would hook up your VCR into the capture card and click record on the software (that came with the card), and hit PLAY on your VCR. You will have to record in real time, which means, if your movie is 2 hours, the time it will take to record it, is 2 hours.
    Now, your movie is on your hard drive. Converting it to DVD is not that hard, or you could just leave it on your hard drive and watch it from there; with your new capture card, you can hook up your computer to the real TV and hit play.

Now, the problem you "might" have with the copy protection. If I remember right, I use to copy from VCR to VCR and I did have to install a filter, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Maybe someone here could step in and give you advice on that. There may be a chance that you might not need it, going directly into the capture card. I would try it first without, then if it didn't work, I would look for that filter.

*edit*
    or, an easy way to get it done, and I like this idea:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/546885

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  3. Karen1971

Karen1971 Guest

Thank you for the information. I am going to try it that way and with fingers crossed hope it will work with out the filter. But if it doesn't anyone who has information on one of them, it would be much appreciated.

KC

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member