1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying dat files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jenn62, Nov 29, 2002.

1. jenn62

jenn62 Member

Hi, I am newbie at this and I only have a cd-r, no dvd at all. I made a vcd using Nero and I lost all the original mpgs. All I have now is the DAT files on the vcd. I would like to make an edited copy of this vcd - specifically, I would like to remove one dat(mpg) file and replace it with a different one. I thought this would work:
    1. Copy all the vcd files to a folder on my hard drive.
    2. Delete the dat file I don't want and replace it with another.
    3. Then burn it all as a DATA cd.
    But it ended up too big too fit.
    (I guess vcd uses less space than data?)
    I just started getting into this about a week ago so any tips and help will be much appreciated.
    tia
    jenn

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Use VCDgear for the DAT<->MPG conversions. Also, VCDs are not DATA CDs, so you'll have to re-make the VCD from the MPGs (easy enough).

3. jenn62

jenn62 Member

Thank you for the help. Just one thing, I do know that vcd is not the same as data cd, but what I don't know is this: Imagine copying all the folders and files from a VCD to your hard drive and then burning them all to a new cd as a data cd. Both cds would then contain exactly the same content. Would these 2 cds then be and work the same?
    thanks again - this is a great forum. I have learned a lot already.
    jenn :)

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Actually I have tried that before back when I was completely new to vcd but it doesn't work. Not even on your computer using WinDVD it doesn't work! Maybe on some stand-alones it does but not to my knowledge!

5. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

to answer your question, when burning a VCD it does take up less space because it does not use error correction, which in turn makes it so that you can fit more data onto one disc. If you use Data CD compilation, it automatically changes the format and forces CRC, which negates the effects of burning a VCD. If you are going to use a different MPG file, just create a new VCD compilation with the new MPG, and forget about doing it the other way.

my 2 cents.

6. Dela

Now why the hell didn't I just think of givin that suggestion.

*Hits Head* Wake Up!!!

7. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

yeah, and I didn't realize that jnihil had already made the suggestion of creating a new VCD with the MPG..

*Also hitting self to wake up*

8. Dela

You said earlier that great minds think alike. Well now we can see that thats right but not always positive lol.