1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ffray, Nov 12, 2004.

1. permatex

permatex Regular member

cyberlink has a program called powerproducer 3,this program allow you to copy a vhs movie to disk then save it to disk or burn a dvd.you connect the vcr to your computer capture card and the program does the rest.you moniter the movie as it is being recorded on the computer screen.you use your exhisting internal dvd writer.note-for myself i find it easier to use a single program that incorperate all that is needed to go from vhs to dvd,with powerproducer 3 you don't need anything else.ps i still belive hp dc4000 and dc5000 with the program that comes with them is the best i have found .if you have a lot of vhs movie for transfering to dvd.,the hpdc4000 or dc5000 movie writers is a good bet.

2. ikenchute

ikenchute Member

Well since were on the subject of getting tapes to disc, how do I get my old audio cassetts to cd’s? I managed to get a copy of one on my hd but can’t get it to a cd correctly so that it will play from the disc. It will play through my media player off my hd but can’t get it copied to a cd.

3. RIVO

RIVO Guest

I have alot of audio cassettes. I had not tried copying them as of yet. I believe I have read programs such as creator5 that will do analog audio from a turntable or a cassette player via your sound card.

4. orc

orc Member

First time posting, learing how, sorry if 2 postings appear. Converting VHS to DVD by way of the DVD Recorder/Player with Hard Disc(such as the Pioneer DVR-810H) sounds great. Using the hp dc5000 also sounds good. Will using the Recorder/Player with Hard Disc get past the copyright? Any difference in quality.

I love and appreciate this people to people help; feels liberating

5. permatex

permatex Regular member

i have a capture card in my computer along with cyberlink powerproducer-3 software along with my internal dvd writer,this system works for convertind vhs tapes to dvd.i have since switched to the hp dc4000 movie writer and software is more stable,faster and the burnt dvd color and sound is better.cyberlink still havs come problems that need to be worked out.

6. comstate

comstate Member

The only other TBC I know of that is as good (perhaps better) is the DataVideo TBC-1000 which can be purchased from many different on-line sites so you might want to check out something like PRICEGRABBER.COM to find the best price but most websites seem to sell this for close to $300 USD which makes it much more expensive than the AVT-8710 by AV TOOL BOX.
    Just type in Search Engine "TBC-1000"

Happy Copying

7. Iain57

Iain57 Member

HI
    About the cassettes, you'll need a player of course, if you have one with auto reverse is best that way you wont have to watch the thing so close. The player should have speaker or line out RCA jacks. A sound card with line or speaker in. Now you need a audio capture program. I have a Nero program that works well "Sound Trax" it's with the Ultra package.
    Roxio has one Creator. Then burn to CD after you edit or what ever you need to do.

8. howndawg

howndawg Member

You could try the SONY DVDirect, you can literally plug your VHS to the thing, pop in a DVD+R (the burner is built into the SONY box) and capture+burn real-time.

We've personally experimented with it and have returned it since due to inconsistencies (sometimes it works great, other times we get terrible a/v sync problems). But for home use, it might do the trick.

Alternatively you could contact us to convert your VHS tapes to DVD

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  9. permatex

permatex Regular member

the hp dc5000 write disk in dvd format,the same format as a store bought dvd.

10. Wavey8

Wavey8 Member

Its been interesting reading this thread so far but I'm not sure I can keep up with the technicals.
    I want to copy VHS to DVD on my Sony GX700 DVD recorder and have come across the classic macrovision problem when trying to copy my old commercial video tapes onto DVD.
    I found a product called Smart Leads on a website which would appear to resolve problem, although it obviously warns that the product should not be used to circumvent copyright protection. I'm not a pirate, just a person who wants to copy old VHS tapes onto DVD.
    Am I on the right track with this product, or do I have to go through the hoops of using one of the more elaborate methods mentioned on this thread?
    Any help gratefully received.

11. permatex

permatex Regular member

the line of thinking here is the movie industry is trying to prevent people like us from copying movies ,they want us to buy another vhs or dvd movie even if the first one we bouhght gets damaged.this does not seem fair to me when i can buy a movie and make a copy.in case.go for it!

12. ffray

ffray Member

Hope this helps:
    I wanted to do the same thing; straight copy from VHS to DVD both with store bought VHS tapes (my kids Disney tapes)and home videos. Nothing special...just straight copying. I bought a VCR, DVD recorder, and I already had a P4 computer. I needed to buy a "piece of hardware" to put in between the VCR and PC to take off the macrovision. I'm not sure if it takes the macrovision off or just disables it. I bought something called DAZZLE 150. It disables (or whatever) the macrovision and also gives you the ability to add titles, music etc to your videos. I don't uses that part of the software but you still have to capture, edit and compile the new DVD with it. The whole process from start to finish takes me about 5 hours for one VHS to DVD copy. Timely..but worth it.

13. permatex

permatex Regular member

to ffray-i hear where you are comeing fromand im glad this works for youbut five hours does seem to be a long time to transfer one vhs tape to dvd,using a hp dc4000 movie writer and software it takes two to two and one half hours start to finish depending on how long the movie is.record is real time.decode and burn abouy thirty min.of course your program may have more options but streight copy vhs to dvd two and a half hours,three if the movie is two and a half hours long.

14. ffray

ffray Member

Sounds like a much better option for VHS to DVD straight copying. At least it's quicker !!!!

15. Wavey8

Wavey8 Member

16. permatex

permatex Regular member

if my memory serves me correct 321 studio was amoung one 0f the first to come out with a dvd copy program known as dvdxcopy wich is still widely used today,however they spent years fighting the movie industery trying to stop them from giving us the software we need to copy dvds,in the end the movie industry won and 321 studio was forced out of business.the fact is every time the movie industry manage to close one of these.companies through the courts.ten more companies are started and does the same thing.for us ,we loose one and win ten.time for the movie industry to stop the greeg,there is enough for everybody.

17. zman666

zman666 Guest

Well now that I am ready to buy the hp dc5000, which I have seen for as low as $188, I can't find a site that is selling it for less then $249. And there seems to be less sites then there use to be. Anybody notice that,or hear anything about why they seem to be in short supply

18. bbaxter

bbaxter Member

Just curious, how about using a standalone DVD recorder like the Liteon 5005/5007? They sell for around $150 and the recording is real-time. If all you want is backing up old tapes, and you don't need any fancy editing control of the DVD copy, maybe you don't need to involve the PC.

I bought a 5007 from Sears and downloaded a hack for macrovision. Now the unit backs up all my old tapes without any problem, and I can also record some TV shows too. A good replacement of my VCR.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  19. Wavey8

Wavey8 Member

I've found just what I needed with the Smart Leads product. It seems to suppress the macrovision signal allowing me to copy VHS tapes to DVD on my Sony GX700. Have been able to copy the majority of my old VHS collection onto DVD with no problems at all. Particulary good news for my impatient 2 year-old's Disney films, VHS was too slow for him. I recommend it to anybody who just wants to copy some old pre-recorded VHS tapes to DVD with no frills.

20. permatex

permatex Regular member

to wavey8-tell our readers a little more about the smart leads product,how they work and where they can be bought.