1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu fan error help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by blowe3711, Sep 22, 2011.

1. blowe3711

blowe3711 Member

Hi, during boot-up of the pc says CPU fan isn't working, its pretty clear that its working, I've tried a new fan and a new power supply. Ran system temp checks and the CPU temp is right around 40, which its always ran around that
    Temp. I have no control of the fan speed, its a 3 wire fan. Does anyone have any ideal what the problem might be?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

see if can get into the bios & check for hardware monitor or someting like that to see if it shows the cpu fan speed in rpm.

3. blowe3711

blowe3711 Member

I can get booted into windows by pressing f2, also can get booted into bios, as I was just reading from Google, maybe could be a issue with the BIOS itself? This problem didn't start til I purchased a new motherboard

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

have you plugged the fan into the right outlet on the mobo.. double check it's on the cpu fan point and not the case fan point ;)

5. blowe3711

blowe3711 Member

Yes its plugged into the correct location ;)

Edited-I powered the system on and it boots fine without the message of fan not working.. system did a update/restarts/message shows up again/I power off then back on, boots without message.... This is some crazy stuff?

so I shutdown the system, remove cpu fan, blow out fan/case/ remove cpu paste from both cpu/fan, clean and new paste, install fan, reboot and i get the same stupid message...

This is bugging me to death... Thinking I might update the bios to see if it helps..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. blowe3711

blowe3711 Member

Ok just wanna let everyone know that I kinda solved this? Im guessing the system was looking for a system fan to be hooked up also (didnt have this before replacing motherboard but the new 1 must look for it?) anyways so I take a system from 1 of my other systems and hook it in the chassis fan spot and all is good... boots fine everytime... I dont know what could poss be different from the 2 motherboards, they are the sametype of board,maybe the system the board came from had a chassis fan? (the board I had purchased was a used motherboard).

anyways Thanks for all the help!