1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating Chapters using DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jazee, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jazee

jazee Member

I created a compilation DVD by ripping various chapters from different DVDs to my hard drive then dragging the different 'Title' files to make a compilation DVD. The only problem is when I play it, it's all one chapter and I can't use the skip feature on the player I have to use fast forward.

What is the easiest way to take the Titles ripped from DVD Shrink and have them burned to a compilation DVD while automatically creating a chapter point for each title?

I loaded Nero Express and cannot add the files because for each different DVD I ripped, it creates the same VOB, IFO, and BUP filenames. I hope I'm not going to have to rename the VOB files with sequential number extentions and then use VOBEdit and IFOEdit. That seems like too much crap to go through. Seems like there's got to be a program out there that will just automatically create the chapter points. If DVD Shrink is smart enough to let you drag and drop different VOB/IDO/BUP files and it separates them out Title 1, Title 2, Title 1(2), Title 2(2) for you, why isn't it smart enough to create chapter points? I don't need a chapter menu.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

use the output dvd files (THE WHOLE COMNPILATION made in shrink say 4/5 films/clips) made by shrink then koad and use auto chapters...

[​IMG]

3. Webuser

Webuser Member

You could use Tmpgenc DVD Author. You can add DVD files and create chapters and tracks etc . You can select where you want the chapters manually or set a time interval.

4. jazee

jazee Member

Nero Vision Express works great. Thanks!

5. jazee

jazee Member

I wrote too soon. One big problem, Nero Vision Express (and TMPGEnc or any other program that will transcode the VOBs) make the whole process take about 4 times longer! Using DVD Shrink, you can compile the ripped VOB files and it will burn them with Nero without any transcoding necessary, except no chapter points.

With Nero Vision Express, even though I selected no menu, did not do any editing to the VOB files, and left the burning settings on 'automatic', my test burn of two VOB files (each file has about around 5 minutes of video) took over 14 minuted using Nero Vision Express and took just under 4 minuted using DVD Shrink!

That's a hefty price to pay just to introduce chapter points. I suppose now the only option is to possibly figure out the route where I rename all the VOBs for the entire DVD sequentionally and then use appropriate tools to create the necessary IFO and BUP files to create chapter points at the beginning of each VOB file. Any instructions on how to do that or is it even possible?

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

as mentoned here you can use tmpgenc dvd author! now take your compilied complete film made in dvd shrink and drop it in dvd author on the wizard it will alacate one chapter piont to each vob i think, but in any case it makes chapter pionts...

also it does this on loading in, a few seconds and then use same app to burn! (speed of burn disc say 4x at 15mins!) so all in al about 30mins? roughly

very fast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ERM??????

edit?

it may be it adds chapter on adding say 12 separate vobs instaed? (like what you are doing in dvd shrink?) 1 chapter piont to each vob? i have done both so cant remeber now? its been a while? but its all fast still...

just try it!!!

7. jazee

jazee Member

Yep, TMPGEnc DVD Author does the trick. Takes about the same time (maybe a little more) than DVD Shrink - about 5 minutes to create and burn my test DVD whereas Nero Vision Express took 15 minutes. Bye Bye Vision Express.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi
    yup tested it here the first way works ok!

drop the whole dvd compilaation in tmpgenc and each vob makes 1 chapter piont!

9. jazee

jazee Member

Ah crap. Wrote too soon again. Ran into a problem: TMPGEnc DVD Author does not let you combine VOBs with different aspect ratios! Ugh!

Oops... false alarm, looks like I just need to create a new track each time the aspect ratio of the VOB file changes.. (sigh of relief.)

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i thought you were dropping in the whole made dvd compilation from shrink?

not separate vobs?

i did a whole dvd made up from shrink! it worked...

11. jazee

jazee Member

That would be redundant I think to have Shrink write the compilation to hard disk. I just use it to rip.

$50 bones for TMPGEnc DVD Author? Ouch. And it doesn't even have transition effects, title overlay, etc.

12. jazee

jazee Member

One snag. Since TMPGE forces you to create new tracks each time the aspect ratio changes, you can only use the skip/previous buttons to skip through chapters of the current track. So I have to skip to the last track then use FF to go to the end of the chapter so it goes to the next track. Looks like I'm going to have to include a menu. That's more professional anyway but a more work.