1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cylindrical redundancy error! Bad drive or Bad Disk?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by knightz, Apr 16, 2005.

1. knightz

knightz Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I really could use your help!

I just upgraded my DVD burner to the NEC 6500A and I've been trying to rip a DVD and I keep getting the cylindrical redundancy error when opening the DVD in DVD Shrink 3.2. This happens right when it first analyzes the DVD and it stops around 38%. I also tried to use DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 but every time it gets to around 28% I get read errors and my drive starts to sound like it going to die so I cancel it at that point. I've read other threads and have changed the settings according to what others have suggested but still no luck.

I’m trying to figure out if my new drive is causing the problem or is it the disc itself? I have ripped a few DVD’s without any problems so I don’t think it’s my drive but my friend has a Toshiba laptop and it ripped the DVD just fine. His drive was a CD-R/RW, DVD Rom drive (No DVD burning capability). I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not but I thought I should mention it.

A few people mentioned that there might be a new encryption that might be causing this to happen and I just wanted to get some opinions before I return the drive. I bought it online so it might take a while to exchange it!

Anyway, thanks in advance! And hopefully someone might have a clue to what’s going on.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well let me be the first to welcome you to Afterdawn!

Try a different movie first before taking the drive back. If this was an older drive that had a few good burns I'd tell you that it probably was not the drive. In this case it may be. I have never liked ripping with a burner and excellent ROMs can be had for less than $40.00US. It should be able to read a movie though. Try another and let us know if it still fails.

Cyclic Redundancy Check errors are read errors. These checks are performed during the reading of the disc. I always think of it as your burner throwing apples at the surface of the DVD and expecting to get the same apples back. Yours gets back oranges.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi knightz,
    Welcome to AD.
    It sounds like the disc is dirty or scratched. Try giving it a good cleaning. If that doesn't work then I would try another copy of the disc. I have run into a few DVDs that my desktop couldn't read but was able to read them and rip them with my laptop.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

4. knightz

knightz Member

Hey thanks for the welcome, I've just discovered Afterdawn and man I wished I would have known about it sooner!!!!

I took your guys advice and I tried other dvd's and they seem to work fine. I ripped a copy of the Matrix and it seemed to work with no problems. The DVD that i was trying to rip was Troy, which is considerably newer (in terms of release) than the DVD's I was ripping before. I looked at the disk and it's FUBAR'ed, it ripped fine in my friends laptop so I thought that it wouldnt have made a difference.

I'm guessing it's just the dvd that's messing up the ripping. I'm gonna try a newer dvd to see if it gives me any troubles.

Also, I've burnt a few dvd's with this new drive and they seem to work quite well so I might keep the drive, plus it has a warranty so if worst comes to worst I can get it fixed.

Oh, I had another noob question I forgot to ask in the first post and that was what is everyones normal ripping speed, I am curious because presumably my new drive is capable of reading a DVD-Rom at 8x but I have never been able to read it at anything higher than 2x. I used dvdinfo pro to speed test it but it never goes higher than 2x.

Hey guys, thanks again! and I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Burners are usually locked at a fairly low read speed... 2X seems really low though. Have you checked for a firmware update? Even new drives may have outdated firmware, depending on how long they have been waiting for you to buy.

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

welcome...

i have the exact same drive on my laptop as you can see from my signature...i've had this drive for quite some time and have gone thru a variety of firmware revisions, just to check out what i could do with this nec.

anyways, from experience on the same drive as you, the crc errors have ALL been due to a dirty/scratched disc. your copy of Troy i have a feeling is messed up, not the burner you just installed.

another thing you should check out is this link i have added here, im currently using the 2.24 firmware, this is the 3rd one i've tried since i have had this drive, updated every 6 months or so approximately, this newest ones works great for me, i can recognize all the newer media just fine and it actually even increases the ripping speed from your aforementioned 2x.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1920

this is what i use from experience and at least for me personally, has made this drive so much more stable and compatibility has been great. hope that helps coming from someone that has the identical drive as you, i happen to have mine on a Dell XPS, but, i purchased it aftermarket to install on my laptop, this wasn't the drive that came with my lappy originally. :) good luck and let me know if that new firmware works out well for you if you decide to try it, but, before you flash it, please make sure you know what you are doing as a bad flashing will destroy your burner and void your warranty, i made this mistake early on and have sent quite a few burners back to their appropriate companies for RMA only to be given a cold shoulder due to improper flashing. the warranties were voided and i was screwed over. just be careful and knowledgable before doing this. good luck. have a good one.