1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Link 524 wireless router problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by compnub, Aug 5, 2006.

1. compnub

compnub Guest

Hi, recently I'm using a D-Link 524 to connect my laptop to the internet, since I do not have a wireless connection in my house. However, my laptop can only connect to the internet while it is the only computer that is connected to D-Link; if another computer is using D-Link too, my laptop won't connect, even though the other computer could. Can anyone help me to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance!

2. m4a1

m4a1 Member

My 2 month old dlink 524 router just gave up on me yesterday. I say your problem has to do with the router itself. Dlink just sells a bunch of crap products now. got my 524 for 15$ after rebates. i guess i got what i paid for. I say email dlink tech support and see waht they have to say, and if they can't solve it, take a bat and smash the router. =)

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

True that the D-link routers etc... are always having issues with strange problems.
    Usually they can be overcome, or at least swapped for a completely different problem, by updating the firmware on the device.
    You'll need to check your revision number via this page and download the correct firmware to load.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=316&sec=0#firmware

P.S. you'll also have to make sure the firmware you get is from here for US or from the local site in your country if somewhere else.

4. compnub

compnub Guest

thanks BigDK! but the firmwares are .bin files...do you know what program can open those files?

5. m4a1

m4a1 Member

you are suppose to load the bin file from the dlink user interface via 192.168.0.1 Go to the tools tab and click on the firmware button on the left. Although I understand that in some instances, upgrading the firmware may help fix the problem, from what I remember Dlink 524 revision D only has 1 firmware version, and thats is the factory one, v 4.00 They do have a beta, but they do not tell you what new changes have been done. Hope this helps

6. compnub

compnub Guest

That actually brings me to another problem m4a1. When I type in 192.168.0.1 it asks me for a username and pass. According to the guidebook, I'm suppose to type in admin for user and leave the pass blank. However, when I try to do that, it leads me to a blank page that says 404 unauthorized. Anyone knows the "correct" username and password?

7. m4a1

m4a1 Member

hmm do you remember ever changing the admin settings? if you have no way of getting into the user interface, then youre just going to have to a hard reset to the router. on the back there is that tiny reset button. press and hold it for about 10+ seconds and wait for it to reboot itself, then eveything should be back to factory settings and the login is just admin, no password. and if that doesnt work, then the 404 error means that the page does not exist anymore. so what i'm guessing is that the router might not be plugged correctly? not sure. try the hard reset though that might do the trick.