1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d link di 604 xp pro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by leeo, Mar 28, 2005.

1. leeo

leeo Member

i have a di 604 router with 2 computers using xp pro. got the router hooked up and have broadband internet on both computers. now how do i set the puters up to see each other and share files, printer and scanner with each other. i'm not sure how to go about it. any help? Thanks

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Well this answear could have a bunch of typing. I will try to keep it short. You have the router and both computers are on the internet. You have all the hardware needed.

Both computers must be setup to share the printers and files. It helps to have both computers on same workgroup but is not needed. The scanner will be left out. It won't share.

Easiest way (assuming you are using XP): Right click on "my network places" and select Properties. In the window that comes up you should see "Set up a home or small office network". If you do not see it look in windows help on that term.

Now hit next, next, select "other" then hit next, next, next, next, Type in the workgroup name you want (make it the same on both computers) then hit next, next, finish. If you changed the computer or workgroup name you will have to reboot.

Now to share the folders. Go to whatever folder you want to share. Right click the folder and select sharing and security. In there you will chose to share the folder and select the share name. The share name is how other computers will see that folder. Hit ok.

Go to other computer. Right click My network connections and select find computers. Leave name field blank and hit search. The computer should see itself and the other system. Double click on the other system. You should see that folder that you set to share. Right click that folder and select map network drive. Choose what letter you for it and make sure the box is checked for reconnect on next login. Click OK. Now that computer can use the other computers files in that folder only.

Sharing printer is done the same way as sharing the folder. Go into printers and faxes. Right click on the printer you wish to share and select sharing and security. Chose the name you want and hit ok. Go to the other computer. Right click my network places and select find computers. Leave name field blank and hit search. Double click on the other computer. The printer should be listed. Right click the printer icon and hit connect. Say yes to verify. You can now print to the other computers printer. There is another way to network to the printer but takes longer for some reason.

If you have a multi function printer/scanner/fax the only function you can use through the network is printing unless there is some new stuff I dont know about. Very important: If you have XP SP0 or SP1 turn off the windows firewall. It will become enabled when you run that wizard up there. For some reason the firewall will not allow computers to see one another. This was fixed in SP2.

I hope this helps out. Im sure you will have more questions. Thats why my e-mail goes off. I as well as other will give you answears. Just keep in mind that there is more than one way of doing things on computers so you may find a conflicting answear and chances are they both work. Was this short enough?

-Del

3. leeo

leeo Member

ok will try. what if i wish to share all files between puters, like one big puter. one to other and one from another. going to give your instructs. a try. Thanks

4. leeo

leeo Member

can see both computers from first computer can't see first computer from second computer. get error message: mshome (work group name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrater of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found. why not have permission for one and not other. what did i do wrong

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Make sure you have administrative rights or you will not be able to set it up. Do both computers have the same workgroup. On the computer that is blind try searching for the other computer by name. From the blind computer see if you can ping the other system.

You will need to know the other computers IP adress. Go to the working computer. Click start then run. Type "CMD" in white field and hit OK. You will be at the command prompt. Type in IPCONFIG and hit enter. This will give you a list of numbers. The one that says IP adress is the one your looking for.

Now go to the blind computer. Click on start then run. Enter "CMD" in the white field and hit enter. You will be at command prompt. Type in PING (IP adress from good computer) then enter. If it does not time out then you can ping. EX: c:\ping 192.168.0.100. While you are there type in ipconfig to get the blind computers IP. If it starts with 169 then there is a problem.

Blind computer is not a tech term. I just used it for ease.

-Del

6. leeo

leeo Member

blind computer timed out (packets sent=4 received=0 the ip address is the same except the last 3 numbers are different (blind 192.168.0.101 working 192.168.0.100) how do i get admin. rights on blind computer. i have never had to get those rights to do anything on it before!

7. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Go into the user account information on the trouble computer. Click start\control panel\user accounts. Look at the users and see if one is setup as user. If they are all Computer administrator then this is not the issue.

Also try this: In the user accounts window click on "change the way users log on or off" and hit ok. Remove both check marks and hit ok. You will now notice that some windows are different. Click on start\logoff\yes. You will log out of that account and will see a different log in window. For user name type Administrator leave password blank if there is not one. You will now be logged in the administrator account and will have full acess to everything. Now try the steps above and see if they work. If not then there is a bigger problem, If yes then there are a few more things to look at while in administrator to see why your log in is not working.

I hope you are not already using the administrator Account and just renamed the login. That is a no no. That is a good way to damage Windows and create cause for a re-install. After the testing in Admin you can log out and go back into your normal user account. Of course you will have to type in the name. You can change that back if you wish or leave it if you like.

-Del

8. leeo

leeo Member

i checked and all users are admin. didn't try the logout, login instructions as it would have been as admin. and would have been that no no you talked about. tried the network wizard again on the blind computer but no dice it still gave me the same error. when go to network places on blind puter it goes to internet and there is a folder there called ftp.microtek.com and on the good puter when i go to network places it goes to the local network and can see blind puter and the files i share. looked for local network on blind puter but i guess not there. will try anything at this point. both puters are xp pro but blind puter is upgrade whereas the good puter is full install if that makes any diff.

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The no no I mentioned was using the Administrator account as your main login. Not going into the Administrator account to check things. If it does work in the Admin account that does not mean you are going to continue to use it. It is just a tool to check some stuff out. You would think that since the other accounts have admin right then it would be the same as going into the Admin account. The answere to that is no it is not the same. There are still very slight restrictions on accounts with Admin rights. The Admin account has no restrictions whatsoever.

Also on both computer make sure all firewall software is off while trying to get things to work. I have, at times, had trouble with both Mcaffe and Norton firewalls. Make sure the Windows Firewall is off on both computers. Once things start to work you can turn things back on one at a time to see what is causeing this problem. Check the way the cables are plugged into your router. Modem in WAN, The 2 computers in any of the remaining ports unless your router shares the last port with an uplink, Do not have anything plugged into the uplink port.(not all routers have an uplink port)

We will get things rolling
    -Del

10. leeo

leeo Member

i messed around and got the blind computer to see itself and shows the shared files available on the blind computer but still doesn't see the good puter. both have the same workgroup and have different computer names. the good computer still sees and can access files from the blind computer.

11. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Can the trouble computer now ping the good system? Sometimes you have to wait a minute or two to have all computers show up in the search. A minute or two after booting that is.

Also make sure the windows firewall is off.Even though this is not fitting the symptoms of Windows firewall giving problems check to see if it is on. Right click "my network places" select properties. Right click the network connection and select properties. Go to the Advanced tab. This is the place to turn off the Windows firewall.

Oh yeah forgot this. An instant rejection when trying to reach the other system indicates the problem is on the Blind computer. Instant means you get some sort of error message within half a second of executing A command. If it takes more than 2 seconds then its something else.

-Del

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  12. leeo

leeo Member

ok first when i go to security center to turn off firewall it says it is on but when i go to firewall to change it, it says its off. this is all on the blind puter. even as admin. mshome (groupname) was not accessible got the same error. still in admin. went to network places then to network connections. found 2 connections one under:Lan or high speed internet local area connection 2. the other was under: mshome virtual private network and and was off. also said disconnected, firewalled wan miniprot (pptp). tried to enable mshome and got this error: Error 800 unable to establish VPN connection the VPN server maybe unreachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection. i then logged off as admin. and logged back on as me. i can ping from blind to good and i get timed out. can ping from good to blind and thats ok. can still get internet on both computers and can still access blind puter and shared files from good puter. try something else???

13. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

How on earth did you get a VPN in there? Was this computer given to you. According to what you say you want to do yo can remove the VPN adapter. Your are haveing some strange issues and this will require me to sit in a corner with my thinking cap on. Im going to look at some stuff and get back with you.

-Del

14. leeo

leeo Member

not given, bought a couple of years ago. have never tried to network. the d link di-604 router had firmware upgraded to 351 from d link help guys when couldn't get on line. then the blind puter showed up tried to get some more help from them but never heard back from them so i went to afterdawn forum for help. don't know anything about vpn connections. just that i get 800 error when i try to enable the workgroup connection. could any of this have anything to do with the vpn error??

15. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok I have researched this problem and have some answers. Turns out a bunch of people have this problem. 9 times out of 10 it is a Firewall problem. I only found one where they had to edit the group policies. I have some links for you:

http://www3.primushost.com/~ckollars/networkingxp.html
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthrea...threadid=177525 (zone alarm settings)
    http://castlecops.com/postt111360.html (sygate firewall)
    http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=11&thread=54793 (NIS issue)
    http://forums.3dgamers.com/archive/index.php/t-1788 (Zone alarm)
    http://forum.pcmech.com/archive/index.php/t-98337.html (WICF Issue)

The first is instruction on setting up a network. Stuff to look at incase you missed something. There is a work around to this problem. That is to install the NETBIOS protocol on both computers. This is not a fix just a work around.

So seems like you did not turn off all firewalls on both computers. You may have overlooked something. NAV2005 Seems to have a firewall property to it. Hope this information helps.

-Del

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  16. leeo

leeo Member

did as you said. deleted vpn and all is as it is supposed to be. got internet. got both computers. ping both ways and they see each other. still have no idea where vpn came from. to simple to be that simple??? Thank You for the help and support with my silly troubles.

17. leeo

leeo Member

i think vpn came in on the firmware upgrade from d link

18. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Cheers
    -Del

19. leeo

leeo Member

well my network got gone don't know how or when set up the network again but old computer is blind again. can ping from new computer and ok ping from old computer and no can do. i can see both computers from both computers but get the old don't have admin ok to get into the good computer and shared files. can get to blind puter and shared files from good puter. what did i do this time no sign of vpn.

20. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Let me translate this to see If I understand your correct. You had to redo the network for some reason. After all was set back up both computers can ping and see eachother in search. One computer can access The shared files of the other but the other can't Use the One computer shared files.

Is that it? If so I need to know the error you are getting when trying to connect (the exact error not a sumed up version). Also getting the system log error will be helpful.

-Del