1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.dat video files... what? How? Confused!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ussb0613, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ussb0613

ussb0613 Guest

Hi all,

Before I get started, I want to thank you for the guides, I have used at least 4 of them with excellent results.

Now for my questions:

I have 1 movie, the movie is devided in to parts, Cd1.dat and Cd2.dat.

I would like to know (so I can better understand), how are the .dat files made? And how can they be used.

I would like to burn these files to a DVD so I can view them on my table top DVD player.

Am I wasteing drive space and time?

I have used the search function and searched .dat, I had a few hits asking the same question but I was unable to locate a reply (if any).

Thank you in advance........

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

.dat files are commonly used in VCDs for carrying video and sound data. Sometimes burn programs (e.g. Nero)can copy/burn the .dat files directly. Other times when they can't, you may then first convert the .dat files into mpeg format before burning. VCD Gear is a nice FREE program to do that. See here:
    http://www.vcdgear.com/
    When you burn the converted mpeg files using programs like Nero, they would then in turn be converted back into .dat files.
    That's how things go. *_*