1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data files fit DVD-R once, but not again

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bendingsands, Jul 3, 2012.

1. bendingsands

bendingsands Member

Hello, I'm new here as well as fairly inexperienced at backing up data on DVD. I was trying to backup 3.77 GB (4,057,276,416 bytes) of files and the first time I did it worked fine. I tried to make a second backup and it tells me I still need 98.8 MB to fit the rest onto the disc which has zero of 4.38 GB of space left. I am using a SONY DVD-R. I just copied the files to my hard drive into a folder and then copied the files onto the DVD-R. As I said before it worked fine the first time onto the same disc with the same method, but now after ruining a few discs I need help with why or possible suggestions on how to fix this? I don't understand why 3.77 won't fit onto 4.38 again.

Any help is appreciated. : ) I'm sure there is some stupid reason that I'm missing, but I am pretty dumb when it comes to this. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Can't think of a reason.
    Try downloading, installing and running ImgBurn.

Select 'Write files/folders to disc'
    Insert a blank disk.
    Either browse to or drag the file into the window.
    Check the 'Test Mode' box and go through the motions of burning the disk (no actual burning takes place).
    It will either tell you that the file is too big for the disk or it will proceed with the test.
    If it says the file is too big, something is way amiss.
    If the test is ok, at the end of the 'burn', uncheck 'Test Mode' and do it for real.

[​IMG]