1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoding VHS movies

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by tic62, Jan 12, 2005.

1. tic62

tic62 Guest

Have done a couple older movies using pinnacle
    Stuido 9.3 with the dazzle capture device converting
    to DVD format The copy looked bad I was wondering if the copy protection On My VHS Tapes has any thing to do with that and If so what do I need to fix this problem

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

It might very well be the VHS copy-protection. Whenever I try to do a VHS-to-DVD transfer either on my computer or on my stand-alone DVD recorder, if the VHS tape is copy-protected it won't work. On the stand-alone DVD recorder I get a "copy protection" notice; I can't remember what message I get on the computer as it hasn't happened in a while (or maybe it copies it, as yours did, but the result is really poor). Anyway, the way I've gotten around this in the past is to use one of those little copy-protection-removal devices; they're basically little black boxes that have inputs and outputs and you put one in between your source device (e.g. a VCR) and your target device (e.g. your computer or stand-alone DVD recorder) using the regular RCA cables (white, yellow, red). The little device removes the VHS copy protection so you can copy the tape. I bought mine a couple of years ago on ebay for <$20. I'm not sure how much they're going for now.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member