1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate for windows help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Burnzilla, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Burnzilla

Burnzilla Regular member

Hey everyone, been a while. missed you guys.

I have a new PC where everything was working perfect. I have windows 7 on it. i then installed the k-lite codec pack just in case for some reason i had a video that wouldn't play. Now its been 2 days and for some reason videos come up with some tearing i guess but also the sound works but the dialogue is tiny. after trying everything including checking some hardware i gave up and reinstalled windows but the problem persists.

Any and all help is appreciated. btw it didnt come with an OS so i cant call for assistance with that. i'm one step away from installing Linux to see if that fixes it but i still need windows to do all my work and such. i'm desperate guys. Finally got a new PC after needing it for a few years and my previous one is about 7 years old. :(

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had issues with mkv files as i had used an old version of k-lite.Once i upgraded windows media player to latest version and installed a newer standard k-lite codecs pack all seems to work fine.
    My recommendation would be check for updates for media player so you have latest version and try a codecs pack again, you can run the media players without codecs packs but mkv wouldn't work when i did it,avi playback was fine.
    another idea is use a different media player (vlc is commonly recommended).

3. attar

attar Senior member

If you have a restore point previous to the installation of K-lite, use that then as xboxdvl2 suggests try VLC as your media player.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

for sound in klite - check your onboard sound mixer first & the config & the wiring setup to your stereo or speakers
    other option use preamp in klite,find the equalizer & boost sound with far left slider

for tearing could be graphic driver or
    http://www.codecguide.com/faq_display_issues.htm

5. richietea

richietea Regular member

I would look at your chipset drivers/DirectX version and Graphic drivers.You may be on the "onboard" graphics chip so if you have an expansion card change the boot sequence to it and disable the onboard graphics chip.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

ignore my reply where i mention far left slider for preamp,i was thinking of vlc doh!

7. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Hi

Just as an FYI, it's a very Rare situation where you have to reinstall the OS because of issues like this. It's commonly the driver software acting up and/or causing a conflict with pre-installed CODECS (very common with CODEC packs).
    Next time you have issues, come here before you reinstall so you don't have to go thru all that hassle for something that's a lot easier to fix.
    I usually recommend the Shark CODEC pack for Win7 but VLC is also an often recommended and well mannered pack. The folks here will get you fixed up, good luck.
    Cheers

8. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

The Combined Community Codec Pack is another alternative to the k-lite which I find easier to manage (i.e. it looks more mainstream - although k-lite is much more popular - and provides less options to fiddle around and potentially break something).