1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by boong, Dec 13, 2004.

1. boong

boong Member

Hi guys I just joined and I can tell im gunna have quite a big history here asking questions, helping out and what not. Firstly i downloaded my first movie the other day and I desperately need some helping making it into a DVD readable file. I don't really know the terminology so please dumb it down a little for me lol :)

Ok first things first, once i finished downloading it via BitTorrent, they were all RAR files so i put them together and it is now a bin file.

Now, that worked properly, i burnt the .bin file onto a disc but my dvd player wouldn't read it. On my computer with no dvd player, I could view one of the files in Media Player.

So theres my problem, I have a bin file and I have no idea how to put it onto a disc readable by a dvd player.

btw im using nero to burn with just a normal cd burner, not a dvd burner, not sure if i need one. If there is anyone out there that can help out a newbie please, help me lol, or ask if u need anymore information.

Thanks

EDIT: just incase that was a little confusing, to sum it up wat i need to know is, can a dvd player read a bin file? and can i use just normal cd-r discs not dvd-r discs

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  2. boong

boong Member

please? anyone?

3. colw

colw Active member

Esssentially you need a DVD Burner to acheive what you are attempting - CD Burner won't do the job.

4. xrm454

xrm454 Guest

I personaly never worked with bin files but know they need to be encoded (i think) to another format.
    do a search on this site for bin and look at the guides 'm sure I saw one about bin's. I learned alot quickly here with alot of searching reading & asking some question's these people here are great!!
    and now I'm burning and watching my dvd's :)

5. boong

boong Member

thanks guys ... dang had to get that cleared up

6. Marvo

Marvo Member

7. jez1099

jez1099 Guest

If you are still having problems converting to dvd try using win avi as this will convert just about anything to dvd with great results.

8. lisamw

lisamw Member

you can burn a bin file to a cd/dvd fine and it will play on your player as long as you have the right disks and what not, all you need to do it open up nero, select burn image to disk, open the bin file and burn.

its not possible to burn dvd files without a dvd burner and blank dvd disks, you cant use cds or a cd burner

9. boong

boong Member

Thank you all for your help, i realised that i need a DVD burner and that i will do, in the mean time ill just play them on my computer hehe :)

oh yeah also, wats the major differences between dvd and vcd? be greatful if u could clear that up for me

thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  10. Marvo

Marvo Member

DVD stands for digital versatile disc and a dvd-video is in a mpeg2 format. VCD stands for Video CD and is in a mpeg1 format. VCDs' are recorded on regular cdrs' Most good set-top dvd players will play vcds' also. The resolution and quality of a vcd is not as good as a dvd but is quite acceptable.

11. boong

boong Member

so would u still need a dvd burner to create VCD's?

thanks again

12. Marvo

Marvo Member

Since VCDs' are recorded on regular cds', you only need a cd writer.