1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

directors commentary

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by harri2000, Oct 26, 2004.

1. harri2000

harri2000 Member

After reading through some of the posted questions I have yet to see this one, it's only happened twice over the course of approximately 30 dvd backups. What I've been using is dvd-shrink w/nero and I get great copies, but twice I've ended up with the directors commentary over the audio track of the movie. What can I do to prevent this again?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  3. harri2000

harri2000 Member

A full disc backup

4. Nephilim

Strange. Have you tried switching audio tracks using the remote for your player?

Doing a movie only copy and removing the director's commentary is one option.

5. harri2000

harri2000 Member

Yes I tried the remote on the player, actually two different players, to turn off the commentary and nothing. The voice over is still on. If I were to reburn the dvd where would I find out what track to delete? I am totally challenged when it comes to this, a matter of fact when I first got dvd shrink I had to read the guides four times and I printed them out so I could have them on hand just in case.

6. Nephilim

Since the director's commentary is giving us problems let's try making a movie only copy.

The basic steps are as follows:

Pop in your DVD.

Click the Open Disc tab at the top left and select the drive with your movie in it. Shrink will now do a very quick analysis of the disc.

Once the quick analysis is complete click the Reauthor tab at the top right.

Now you should have all the the parts of the DVD listed on the right in categories (Menus, Main Movie and Extras) under the DVD Browser tab.

To get the least compression and keep things simple we'll do a "movie only" copy. With this method you'll lose the menu functionality but the chapter skips will still be there.

Under the Main Movie tab there should be a entry named "title" with some sort of number by it, usually "1". This entry should be the largest in size and duration. Drag and drop this entry over to the empty space on the left.

Once you've done this, look to the top right again and click the Compression Settings tab.

Now you should see Video, Audio and Subpicture categories.

Under Video, the drop down should be set to Automatic.

Now to Audio. Depending on the movie there may be DTS, 5.1, 2-channel and director's commentary tracks in various languages. Since we're doing just the movie we need only one audio track so uncheck all the tracks you don't want. Most folks keep the 5.1 track. You can do the same thing for the subtitles.

Now we're ready to click the Backup! button

7. sickduck

sickduck Guest

ive had that problem i just assume i picked the wrong audio track, like with passion of the christ i ended up with the latin audio track lol(oh well discs are cheap)