1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

disc works once?????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bandog, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bandog

bandog Guest

Hi an someone please tell me why the movies Icopy only work once on my dvd player? I have a Sony dvd player and am using maxell,memorex,fuji & sony +r's. {I.E.}..Taxi played really well a few weeks ago, now it won't play at all....Thanx ahead of time..Bandog

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

The problem with media is that the actual manufacturer of the disc is not necessarily the same as the name on the disc. This means that Memorex discs are not made by Memorex, and so on.

There is a program called DVDIdentifier that will tell you exactly who made the disc. Try that and tell us who made them. I do believe it is a media problem.

Does your DVD player work fine on original movies? I ask because I bought a cheap DVD player before (Apex) that only worked 1 time. After that it kept saying Please insert a disc.

Also, do your backups work if you try to play them on your computer? And is your DVD player supposed to be able to read +R format? How do -R discs work?

3. bandog

bandog Guest

Yes originals work and yes they play on my computer....curious???....I've copied a mountain of movies...I guess it's a 50/50 chance they'll work on my sony dvd player....sigh,I'd hate to think I wasted all that time for nothing

4. bandog

bandog Guest

Also,my computer only uses r+ as well as my dvd player....ps2 unfortunately plays only r-...newer ones play r+

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you use Nero, select 'DVD-Video' when burning and just drag the files over to the VIDEO_TS folder on the left. Nero will check for DVD compliancy and also burn it in the most compatible mode for DVD players. When I created my own DVDs from scratch, I would choose UDF mode (data) in Nero. Some DVDs would play on my Sony, and others wouldn't. If the DVD will play in your PC burner but not your standalone, this may be the problem. Or it could be your Sony is picky about the +/-R brand which is doubtful for Sony. Do you get any messages like 'Disk is Dirty' or something about it not being a video?

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'd still gamble on media being the problem. Try some Ritek or Taiyo Yuden. If they don't work out for you, I'm sure there's plenty of people here who would buy them off you.

7. bandog

bandog Guest

Dogbomb,I don't use nero I use dvdfab express...It is really simple to use..I unfortunately am not adept at using the computer.I tried using another prog to copy....ooofah!!!!...It did {my stand alone} give me {disc dirty} message...1st time I've ever seen that.The disc was dirty,I cleaned it off,but still got the message when I tried to replay it...I started out using maxell,then memorex,next fuji and am now using sony media.The problem with that is I covered the disc's with the titles so now I don't know which will play and which won't until I play them.I remain for eternity a Newbee :}....By the By...Squizzle I'm gonna stick with the sony's for now just to see.......

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

So you have stick-on labels on these? That may be your problem. Try one without a label. Many people have this problem with stick-on labels.

9. bandog

bandog Guest

squizzle....how does the label prevent the disc from playing? Also,would removing the label, or ,trying to make it worse?

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi bandog, There are a few possible reasons that labels cause playback problems. Some suggest that the label throws off the disc balance. Others say the label gets too hot and causes the disc to warp. You also have to worry about the label peeling off inside your player. Whatever the actual reason is, labels cause many playback issues. Some members seem to get away with using them and they work fine. The majority of the members have playback problems if they use the stick on labels. Once removed the disc usually plays great. There is a product sold called GOO GONE that is citrus base and won't harm the disc. Soak the label with the Goo Gone for about 5/10 minutes and then try peeling it off. The left over solvent will evaporate but its good to clean the disc with alcohol after. Hope this helps.

Jerry

11. bandog

bandog Guest

thank you for the info....I'll try what you suggested and see what happens

12. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

The label prevents the discs from playing because of the weight imbalance while the disk spins. Never put labels on your DVD/CD's. If you are picky (like me), get an EPSON R200 printer ($79.99 at SAM'S CLUB)w/some inkjet Blank DVD-+R media. The printer will print the pic on the actual dvd/cd, not a paper to stick on. Make sure it's the printable type of blank media.

13. bandog

bandog Guest

jerry...whatta mess!!!...LOL...I'm just gonna havta bite the bullet and recopy those dvd's that don't work....

14. colw

colw Active member

Just try removing the labels first and then see how they play - it may not be necessary to recopy them.

15. bandog

bandog Guest

colw....as i've said....removing the labels is very messy..what I'm goning to do is keep the ones that play and recopy the others...labels...ugh!!!..I thought they added a nice touch to a bland disc face..I guess I'll just write on them until I get one of those new printers that {Lasers ? }the titles on.