1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx encoding: multiprocessor?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by kmart, Aug 5, 2002.

1. kmart

kmart Member

I'm thinking of building a high end dedicated encoding machine (to take full advantage of my netflix subscription). So does virtualdub take advantage of dual processors? Will movies be encoded twice as fast this way? If not, can you at least encode two movies at the same time, thereby cutting encoding time in half, anyway?

Right now, I'm on a 1.0 GHz machine with 512MB RAM. So if I build a dual proc 2.0 GHz machine, can I expect to encode 3-4 times as fast? Any suggestions about what hardware I should use in order to maximize my rips from netflix? What I mean is, I want to create the most efficient ripping schedule, maybe a movie everyday (7 movies a week). Any advice or suggestions would help.

2. SayYes

SayYes Member

i believe i read somewhere that with a dual processor, one would do all the work for encoding, while the other would kick it some need reenfocrement. try encoding 2 pics at once with the system u have now and see how long that takes..good luck

3. kmart

kmart Member

Right, but if I encode to movies simulatenously with a dual proc machine, will each movie take full advantage of one processor? I just takes a really long time to encode (I'm pretty impatient) so any time I can shave off would be great.