1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Settings for #1 DVD Ripper

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 610Park, Feb 1, 2005.

1. 610Park

610Park Member

What are the best settings when converting a DVD to
    Divx using #1 DVD Ripper? I am using Divx Codec 4.12. I am having trouble with the Variable Bit Rate mode in the Divx Codec configure box. I am not sure what to put for the best possible setting. What are the best settings for the variable bit rate mode and performance quality. I am not worried about getting a file the smallest I can get it, for I want it to be a quality file. If I do a 2Pass in the variable bit rate mode does the computer automatically do a 2nd pass for me or do I have to initate that? And if I have to initate that, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Todd

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

#1 DVD Ripper and DivX codec 4.12?
    Surely you jest...
    Try GordianKnot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    and DivX 5.2.1 :)
    Variable Bit Rate mode basically means 2-pass rip.
    The first pass 'maps' the content into a file that describes the complexity and motion, frame by frame.
    The 2nd or nTH pass(es) will then be able to apply the bitstream most efficiently, where it is needed most...
    GordianKnot is yer friend, it's a great program.
    If you want something 'easier' there is an automatic version available - but try regular GK first.
    You can make very high quality files in 2 passes.
    Ask back if you have any further questions,
    Regards

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  3. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

i have a question, with the divx pro 5.2.1 encoding, I get to the step where I need to configure my second pass, but in the divx configuration i do not see a second pass option. I only see "1st pass", "multipass" and then "Nthpass", which one do i select?

4. 610Park

610Park Member

I'm with the previous question. Where do you configure for the 2nd pass in divx Pro 5.2.1. I see the same options as the previous question. Help, Help! So where do you configure for the 2nd pass?

Todd

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

You've got your '1-pass'
    Or you've got your 'Multipass - First Pass' plus 'nTH Pass' which is the 2nd, 3rd, whatever (4th? I don't think so...)
    I used to do 3-pass rips, overnight, but now with DivX Pro I need only 2 passes to pretty well maximize quality :)
    So then, in GordianKnot you configure 1st pass then nTH pass, and select 2 or 3 passes later in the project just before you let it run.
    If you select 3 passes it will use your nTH settings twice (but you must configure to 'update log file' for more than 2 passes).
    Here is the Official Guide:
    http://download.divx.com/divx/DivXUserGuide521-en.exe
    For example, I use no Psychovisual Enhancements on 1st pass, but I use Slow P E for my nTH passes, as per their detailed info in guide...
    Hope this helps,
    L8R