1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Xvid cropping, really need help

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by cuminstd, Feb 17, 2011.

1. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

I really need help on this one. Cropping divx or xvid files. I have read discussions here and many other sources, and still nothing has worked. I have probably tried at least 10 programs which included VirtualDub, MediaCodec, Mpeg4 Modifier, and a bunch of rippers with presets on them. MediaCoder, the latest 2011 is very easy to manual crop with but, when I use this there is never video in the output file. Yet, if I don’t use crop in MediaCoder, the video file output is always just fine. I like Virtualdub as it is fast and gives good results, but doesn’t really seem to crop at all.

I belong to one of those download Movie clubs and have downloaded dozens of movies that are DVDRips, BDrips, Divx, XVid, whatever. I get the subtitles and put them in the same file as the movie. I change the movie extension to .avi and run AVIAddXsubs with the .srt subs and everything works great when I play them through my Home Theater Phillips HTS337D by putting them on a USB stick or through Divx Plus Player on my computer. I get nice movies and great subtitles.

Now, to the real problem. My HDTV is a brand new model, a Vizio M260VA that is supposed to be progressive scan capable through HDMI. I have the TV output HDMI going to my Philips
    HTS 3371D Home Theater System. The Home Theatre remote has a fit to screen button which never works at all. That is because on the TV menu, progressive scan is blanked out and I have yet to know why or get an answer from Philips.

On the TV, I have Normal, Wide, Panoramic, Stretch, and Zoom picture mode. On the home theater is 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, zoom modes. And of course the one I really need which is the remote fit to screen that does not work. If this worked, I would be happy.

So, I am very unhappy because I just hate black bars above and below my movie being played, or it zoomed to much as in the case of the home theater zoom number two which is way too much zoom which stretches the pixel image to a little blurry on the screen. My HDTV native resolution is 1366 / 720. I realize wide screen specification of the ratio 1.77

So, I want a program and help on settings for cropping my movies to fit my screen as close as possible. I realize by cropping I am missing some outside portions of the movies such as cropping a photograph. But, I don’t care about that.

Now, here is another problem. When I take any movie I download from my movie site which is divx or xvid and change the extension to .avi it always works in AVIAddXsubs when adding the subtitles to make a divx or xvid embedded subtitle file. Yet every program I have used to try and crop or change these files after done, it doesn’t keep the embedded subtitles. And, also when trying to enter subs again, I get the message through AVIAddXSubs it is not a AVI File, no AVI mark.

I have spent days and days and hours trying to figure this out. I am wondering if you literally have to change the divx or xvid file back to an avi file. Then crop the avi file. Then again compress the file using divx or xvid codec. I even tried the program by iorgsoft called AVCHD exclusively for video cropping. Didn’t crop correctly and painfully slow.

Any help appreciated. Dennis

2. attar

attar Senior member

AviAddXSubs does not embed the subtitles (they are not hard coded).
    The subs are another stream that is muxed (like the audio and the video).

3. Trismegis

Trismegis Member

StaxRip is the best DivX/XviD encoding front-end I have found. It will crop the video in the encoding process. However, it usually (via VOBSUB Ripper Wizard) outputs the subs to a separate SUB/IDX file(s). SubRip will convert SUB/IDX to SRT (assuming it is a good rip) if that is the format you need, and then I guess you could mux the subtitles with AVIAddXSubs. Honestly, I don't know much about the subs, but as far as encoding and cropping, StaxRip is the best front-end I've found. I hope this helps.