1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diy?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by Stuckonit, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

hello
    problem
    iv got a prety old AKAI am2600 stereo amplifier (80w x 2 into 8 ohms)
    looked into some newer more powerfull amplifiers and didnt find many (im sticking with stereo, i dont want any 5.1 or 7.1 home therathre, just simple stereo :D)

problem2
    not many ppl have wat im looking for :(
    found a good amp from ROTEL (500w x 2 into 8 ohms) but it costs like 3500 USD :(

does any1 know were i can find and amplifier with the above stats at a much lowere cost? please post links.

if not can some1 hook me up with an amplifier chip and datasheet and ill just build the damd thing myself....(yes...i do like older technology, if it didnt take tubes to warm up so long id b using a tube amplifier)

much thanks 2 all

2. behrad

behrad Regular member

The trouble friend is that, any decent amp with figures like that is always going to cost high. Especially, if it made by Rotel!!!!!

Let me get this straight, you want an audio amplifier chip and you are going to build an amp (straight 2 channel, stereo)around this IC?

Firstly, Let me ask how confident are you with working with AC? If u are not confident, can I suggest you find an older (maybe a good second hand Rotel or Krell or NAD etc...) amp and save yourself from injury or worse!

If you are confident working with AC and know how to put a circuit together then let me say this. There is a reason why an amp like the one from Rotel sounds so good. In short it is my opinion that you would be hard pressed to make an amp from a bunch of components and have it sound and preform like a Rotel/NAD/HK/Onkyo amp.

For one thing, they have access to components that is generally not found in Tandy due to their own R&D team.

Things like power rectifiers, power supply and tight tolerance capacitors make the difference to how an amp performs.

Having said that, I don't want to sound too negative. You can properly make a very decent amp quiet cheap if you know what you are doing and u are handy with a soldering iron, I just don't think you can get a Rotel sound out of it.

good luck

3. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

i am very confident about working with ac and soldering as i have been doing this for several years.

i would be able to get my hands on good parts i just need to know what parts...

i know many sources that can get me resistors and capacitors that have a 1% or less tolerance as well as high power rectifiers and resistors

if you can hook me up with some information i would greatly appreciate it

on the price side the amp im looking for from rotel costs about $3500....thats way to much for me im looking to spend around $500 or so but can always get some more cash

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

in that case mate, I would start to look at some of the Audio amplifier chips that are around. I imagine that would be the easiest and cheapest method to get something built. I think there is a IC with the letters "LM" followed by a few numbers that is a purpose built audio amp chip. You still need all the other components as well as a good "clean" power supply to power it along. I seem to recall it was rated at 70W RMS into 4 Ohms.
    I am visualizing you building a pair of these amps and using one for each channel of the stereo.

Unfortunately, I don't have any schematic diagrams for what you are after but lets hope someone else here can help out.

Best of luck and let us know how you went.

good luck

5. JVC

JVC Active member

6. Stuckonit

Stuckonit Regular member

Thanks guys
    i found a couple solid state vintage amp chips that are relatively cheap and effective for me

thanks for the help...ill kepp you posted