1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DL and discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dj928, Feb 8, 2005.

1. dj928

dj928 Member

Hello, after finally getting comfortable with DVD Shrink and Decrypter, I have a few questions that I could not find the answer to.

1. I am apparently using cheap DVD Discs, as I cannot even find a brand name on them. What are the recommended DVD brands for high quality copying? And, is it enough to go with just the brand, or should I look at other issues?

2. I have a dual layer drive (new) and have heard that the media for this is still too expensive for most people to buy. However, there are some movies I own that I want to make a high-quality backup copy of that includes all the extras, etc. Using the above programs, can I just plop in the DL media, and it will do the rest for me? Or, do I need to change any settings? Also, will the DL copy play fine in my home theatre DVD player?

Thank you. :)

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi and welcome to AD

First you can tell who made those disk's by using this little proggy http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Second You will still need to use Decrypter to rip your original movie to the HD. This will remove the encryption off the original so you can properly back it up. You can not just copy from the original to the blank DL disk because of encryption. But there is a proggy out there that will allow you to do this called AnyDVD you can download it to try for 21 days to see if you like it. All it does is basically run in the background, and you will never really know it is even there except for the little fox icon in your system tray. It tricks your drive into thinking there is no encryption region code on the disk. Thats the easiest way to explain it, but it works like a charm. :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. dj928

dj928 Member

Thanks. :)

I have made quite a few copies onto single layer discs using the programs I mentioned. I just wanted to make sure that if I put in a DL disc, I can just do the same as I had before with those 2 programs.

Do you have any recommendations on DVD media brands so that I make copies that will last and work well? A few of the copies I've made have not played on my home theatre DVD player - while others play fine on it. I have a feeling this is related to disc quality.

Thanks again. :)

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

By the way you really wouldnt need Shrink if you are burning to a dual layer disk. Just rip in ISO mode with Decrypter and then burn it with Decrypter.

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Re: DVD9 to DVD-r, check out this great guide:
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984

Some people will say that compressing will majorly hurt the quality, and while this is true, and probaably even more applicable if you have a large HD plasma or LCD tv, I can say from personal experience that my eyes and ears can tell almost no difference between the originals and the compressed backups. I usually just use the default settings in Shrink and only remove foreign subtitles and soundtracks, keeping all the extras and menus. Also, I just select "Deep Analysis". I don't use the Quality Enhancement setting. Once again, I can't tell a difference between my backups and the originals.

And regarding media, if you don't mind spending a few extra pennies per disk, definitly go with Taiyo Yuden's.

7. dj928

dj928 Member

Hello,

I have a Dell computer, and they told me they only support DVD+R media - not DVD-R. Any idea why? They seem a lot more expensive and are harder to find with the Taiyo Yuden's (in the short amount of time I've been searching tonight).

Thanks.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its not the computer it self that dosen't support the +R media. Its more the brand of DVD writer they put in their systems that dosen't support the -R media. What is the brand and model number of your DVD writer? It just may support -R...

Also if you are talking Dual Layer Disk's then +R is the only format for this right now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  9. dj928

dj928 Member

I don't know the model, but from the specs I was given by Dell on my computer, it appears to be a Philips. Here is how they list it:

X7055 MODULE, DVD+/-RW, 16X, PHILIPS, MIDNIGHT GRAY, SECOND

10. JMears

JMears Guest

I just got a new LiteOn DVD Burner, I guess it is plus and minus (it's got both) So I use one of the LiteON DVD+R (Dual Layer? Silver) discs that it came with and make a perfect backup (following the guide from this site using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink just as described), then I go out and buy a new stack of Maxell DVD+R and start with my next backup. This burn seems to work fine, then I go to play it on my DVD player and about an hour into the movie it begins to "hiccup". From here I can hardly skip through chapters cause of these glitches. I try burning the same ISO file with another of the same stack, again, more glitches now later on the movie! I then used the other single layer LiteOn DVD+R (this one is gold- if that matters) to try again. Now in the DVD player, it got all the way to the credits, then started the glitching.
    Is the problem the DVDs? -R +R -RW +RW or should I be doing something I'm not?
    I'd honestly offer up my first born for any help to correct this. I don' think I need anymore glitchy copies of the same movie! =)