1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to flash my bios to play Ninja Gaiden?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by DarkRage, Apr 12, 2004.

1. DarkRage

DarkRage Member

My thanks in advance to those who read this following babble and give helpful advice!

Grab a drink... you may be here a while...

From the looks of things, I think I do need to flash my bios in order to play N.Gaiden... When I boot up the game (either off of a DVD or off of a copy on my HDD) it will go thru the Team Ninja intro movie, but as soon as it tries to go into the intro movie for the game, it brings up a message with something like "The disc you are using is dirty or damaged. Please try again."
    If I press start before the end of the Team Ninja intro movie, I can look at the start up screen (eg. with New Game, Load Game, Options etc) but as soon as I choose a new game and it goes to load, it gives me the same error message.

I have tried the same disc in other friends' xboxs - no problems.
    I have tried copying the disc to friends' xboxs and playing the game - no problems.
    However, these friends got their xboxs modded or flashed after I had mine done (in September 2003) thus I think I have to flash mine...

Which brings me to the next point... man this is gonna be a long one...

If I do need to do it, I don't want to send my box to hell...
    Can someone safely guide me please? Is this the right thing to do?

I think I have an Aladdin Advance (judging by pictures I've seen on the net and the fact that my xbox had three different boot modes [no chip, chipped, flash writable]) and I'm running Evo-x (i think it's build 3935).
    I used a program the other night called BiosChecker 4.0b the other night and it came up with:
    "Bios: Unknown"

I installed +3935 myself, but at the time, I didn't flash the bios.
    Now under the "System Utils/Flash Bios" of Evo-x, there are four to choose from:
    1. 4977red
    2. EvolutionX M7 bios
    3. EvoX M7
    4. EvoX M7_ef

Now from what I've been reading elsewhere (so for everyone's info I'm not just whinging on here - I've done a fair amount of research - this is my final check) the fourth one (EvoX M7_ef) is the same as the third but fixes some eject function problem. This makes me think that the fourth is therefore the latest of the Bios' that are on my xbox, but haven't been flashed onto the chip yet.

So to cut a long story short, is this what I have to do?:

1. Boot up my xbox in flash writable mode.
    2. Goto Flash Bios and select "EvoX M7_ef".
    3. Wait and pray...
    4. Reboot my xbox.
    5. Play Ninja Gaiden!! :)

Tonight my friends were taunting me that N.Gaiden was soooo good! Of course I pointed out to them that they got it off of me in the first place and if it wasn't me, they would've had to wait a hell of a lot longer to get it! ;)

Thanks to those that respond!

Ev

2. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

I don't get the feeling that you are whining...but could you tell me what type of media you are using? I have had the same thing happen and it was the media. My Evox always says bios unknown and I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like a bios issue to me. Give me the name of the media and type and if possible the type of drive you have...ie. thomson, samsung, phillips Thanks

3. DarkRage

DarkRage Member

thanks for the reply...
    will have to get back to you with more info tomorrow...
    it's 4am here and i gotta work tomorrow!!
    cheers

4. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

how come this bit
    sounds so much like uve given them a copy of your backup?! unless u dont even own the original yourself otherwise there wudnt be SUCH a big deal as u cud just play it off the original disk.....

5. DarkRage

DarkRage Member

G4MERZO1D, you know, when I wrote that bit, I thought that it probably sounded like I was giving out copies left, right and centre.
    But the deal was, I gave my copy to a friend who had his xbox modded three months ago by a different guy than the the guy who modded mine.
    Then after a couple of days, he gave that copy to another friend, but this friend had his xbox modded by the same guy who did mine, but about a year ago maybe... He got his BIOS flashed at the time I had mine modded (which lead me to think that we had the same BIOS, except that I didn't flash the BIOS after installing Evo-X 3935...)

This lending of discs was to merely test the disc itself and integrity of the burn... seeing as it appeared to be fine except it brought up that error message...

Eggbert, when you say "media", do you mean the dvd burner and the dvd-r i'm using?

Thanks lads...

6. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Yes...what is the name brand and type of media ie. DVD-R, DVD+R etc. are you using? Also, what is they name brand of your drive?

7. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

ok then fair enuf DarkRage, just have to make sure ;)
    we dont want another Aaron guy on the scene ;) Daskins will back me up on this...

8. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Yea, I will back you up on that one too!

9. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

he seems to have gone a bit quiet on this board, lets pray to god he doesnt go on to another one and start doing it to other poor soles! ;p

10. DarkRage

DarkRage Member

"we dont want another Aaron guy on the scene ;) "

You know... when I was browsing through some of the threads, I think I remember some nutter called Aaron...
    I promise not to be a freak! :)

Back to the prob... whilst I haven't gotten around to checking stuff yet... does anyone have any idea what the prob could be and what is the latest Evo-x bios?

11. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

the latest evox is 3935 and iam not to sure about the prob as i dont have ninja gaiden as of yet :( i keep getting told im missing out

12. DarkRage

DarkRage Member

Like I said... my mates were taunting me... I will have my revenge... not to mention my disc back!!

And now... with my puppy chewing on my toes I shall return to searching across the www for the salvation to my problems...

been reading thru the xbox scene tutorials but there are sooooo many!! Mind you I'm learning more!

13. takagen

takagen Member

I have exactly the same problem as DarkRage. So what is your remedy to it eventually?

14. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

I first made my backup of gaiden when I had the 4977 bios, I used memorex dvd-r, although it DOES seem to take a while to boot (maybe its just the game, as the original seems to take a while too) it does boot up ok. I have since reflashed the bios and now have the 4983, but have no problem with the game, I beleive egg hit on the issue, try differnt brands of media, and maybe swap from +r ro -r or vice versa.
    What type of dvd drive do you have in your box? (samsung,thomson,philips?)

15. takagen

takagen Member

i believe mine is the samsung drive (bought it recently where the console is the translucent green set).

Anyway, it seems to be the speech settings in the option. Once i set all to english, it works. Previously, i set the speech to japanese.

Btw, anyone knows what's the significant difference between the x2_4983.67.bin and the EvoxM7EFO.bin bios? Coz initially i tot was the bios problem and went ahead flashing my bios to the orange EvoxM7EFO.bin?