1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy VCDs won't work (problem please help)

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Shin555, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Shin555

Shin555 Guest

Hi, i've just encoded a DVD quality avi file to mpeg so that it has the same properties as a VCD (except the resolotion i normally change that so the picture looks how it is supposed to not fat).

When the file has sucessfully been encoded i burn it using the Video CD wizard on Nero. The burn process was sucessful and Realplayer recognises it as a VCD disc and plays.

But, when i try it on my DVD player which plays VCDs the picture is all green and blurry with blocks and shows little clips of the movie.

This never happend before when i burned other movies the same way and i've checked all of the scart cables but thats not it either. And i am also using the same cd-r's i used. CAN ANY ONE EXPLAIN WHY THIS IS HAPPENING?

Also is it possible to burn an avi file as a DVD to see if this resolves the problem, I don't have a DVD-W, if so can someone PLEASE tell me how?

Thank You!!

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The problem could lie in a few things. Burning over 4x causes problems. Also for stand-alone dvd players, don't choose cheap cd-r media!

To burn avi as dvd, you need a dvd burner unless you create minidvd which usually doesnt work and only allows a few minutes on each disk so its not worth it anyway!

3. Shin555

Shin555 Guest

i am using crap cd-r but it worked fine for the last 25 movies using the same cd-r. and it was well over 4x.

whats minidvd? and can i split the avi in two for one of these? i don't have a dvd burner

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Basically its dvd on a cd-r but you can only store a few minutes so you would have to split an avi a helluva lot of times!