1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't skip breakfast!!! WHY?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Schwaber, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

anyone here has the habit of skipping breakfast? Well, think again! I found a good article that skipping breakfast can lead you to heart attack! Yes, that's right.

Here, I'll show you:
    IMPORTANCE OF HAVING BREAKFAST

Breakfast can help prevent strokes, heart attack and sudden death. Advice on not to skip breakfast!

Healthy living
    For those who always skip breakfast, you should stop that habit now! You've heard many times that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." Now, recent research confirms that one of the worst practices you can develop may be avoiding breakfast.

[​IMG]

Why?
    Because the frequency of heart attack, sudden death, and stroke peaks
    between 6: 00a.m. and noon, with the highest incidence being between
    8: 00a.m. and 10: 00a.m.

What mechanism within the body could account for this significant jump in sudden death in the early morning hours?

We may have an Answer.
    Platelet, tiny elements in the blood that keep us from bleeding to death if we get a cut, can clump together inside our arteries due to cholesterol or laque buildup in the artery lining. It is in the morning hours that platelets become the most activated and tend to form these internal blood clots at the greatest frequency.

However, eating even a very light breakfast prevents the morning platelet activation that is associated with heart attacks and strokes. Studies performed at Memorial University in St. Johns, Newfoundland found that eating a light, very low-fat breakfast was critical in modifying the morning platelet activation.

Subjects in the study consumed either low-fat or fat-free yogurt, orange juice, fruit, and a source of protein coming from yogurt or fat-free milk.
    So if you skip breakfast, it's important that you change this practice immediately in light of this research.

Develop a simple plan to eat cereal, such as oatmeal or Bran Flakes, along with six ounces of grape juice or orange juice, and perhaps a piece of fruit.

his simple plan will keep your platelets from sticking together, keep blood clots from forming, and perhaps head off a potential heart attack or stroke.

So never ever skip breakfast!

2. NeoLance

NeoLance Regular member

I didn't know this, but it is also true for other reasons that you should not skip breakfast. If you're a bodybuilder or weightlifter you know that most of your muscle and cell growth occurs during your sleep. Without the proper nutrition (protein to help stimulate protein synthesis) it is hard for you to make gains for muscle. Your body is deprived of all food and is already digested during your sleep. If you skip breakfast, you have not had food (which I hope you know makes energy) for 8-9 hours depending on how long you sleep and then until lunchtime which can make it 12 or more hours. It is overall just not something you should do to your body. This goes alongside not getting enough sleep... I guess you can tell I have spent more time on nutrition and weightlifting forums than computers lately, so what I just said is not even up for discussion or correction here :), but I am still a total noob with computers!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

It's all good NeoLance. At least I learned something new! :D

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

In this case,I've got a question :Why do Jobs and schools start so early?.When i was a teenager school started at 8 20,i would go to bed at
    10 00 but i couldn't get to sleep till 11 00.
    scientists have proven that teenagers won't get to sleep early because of there hormones...

So in my teenage years i was getting up at 7 00 and managing to go to sleep at 11 00.That's 8 hours sleep,which is way under the needed 11 hours.

In England somewhere,they noticed that kids wee exhausted at school,so they decided to make there school start at 10 00,the conclusion was that the kids grades increased by 34 %.

All this to say that when you're a teenager,of course at seven o'clock you're not going to manage to get up,so you'll get up at 7:30,meaning that the only way to stay on time is to skip breakfast,and that's why kids are lying on there table,half asleep.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  5. irish80ca

irish80ca Regular member

I've been skipping breakfast since I was 14 years old (now 27). I better get something to eat now!

6. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

Are u kidding me? That's more than enough sleep! you see, the media advertises that an average person should at least attain an 8 hours sleep per day. Well, this is wrong. usually, I only get 5-6 hours of sleep per day but I don't feel tired at all. Why? Its because I read this book called "How To Sleep Less And Have More Energy" :D

You can actually download the book. but anyway, yea, it says in there that it isn't really necessary to have an 8hr sleep for to feel healthy and energize.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  7. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

I am now an adult,but a growing teenage boy needs more than 8 hours sleep.
    Could you please give me a link to the download of this accuratly titled book.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

That is very true about teenagers needing more sleep.

I also knew that most heart attacks occured between eight and nine a.m. but, silly me, I though the idea of going back to work was just too stressful LOL!

9. janrocks

janrocks Guest

What's breakfast? I usually start the day with a beer at around 4 pm.. nothing but coffee before that.

10. ireland

ireland Active member

just info

7:00am
    BREAKFAST

After a full 7 or 8 hours without food, your body craves a healthy dose of high-quality protein. Start your day right with at least 30 grams (g), along with plenty of slow-digesting carbs. Because your carbohydrate stores are low after an overnight fast, there's no better time to fill your tank. Just make sure your carbs come primarily from fruit and 100 percent whole-grain sources.

PROTEIN-PACKED OATMEAL
    Prepare:
    1 package Nature's Path Instant Flax 'N Oats

Mix in:
    1scoop strawberry whey-protein powder (Choose a product that's 100 percent whey protein, such as Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard; optimumnutrition.com.)
    3 Tbsp 1% milk

Have on the side:
    1medium pear
    1c green tea or coffee (sweetened with Splenda)
    472 calories, 32 g protein, 76 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat (1 g saturated), 9 g fiber

OPTION 2 SPICY OMELET
    Make with:
    1c Egg Beaters
    1 medium egg
    1/2c fresh spinach
    2mushrooms, sliced
    2 Tbsp shredded light Cheddar cheese
    1/2 c salsa

Have on the side:
    1 slice 100% whole-wheat bread with 1 Tbsp Smucker's low-sugar jelly; 1 c V8 juice
    421 calories, 37 g protein, 40 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (4 g saturated), 5 g fiber

OPTION 3 STRAWBERRY-AND-BANANA WORKOUT SHAKE
    If you work out first thing in the morning, choose this option, drinking half of the shake right before your session and half immediately afterward.

Blend together:
    2 scoops vanilla whey-protein powder
    6 oz Yoplait Light fat-free strawberry yogurt
    8 frozen strawberries
    1 large banana
    Plenty of ice

491 calories, 52 g protein, 61 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 5 g fiber

10:00am
    MIDMORNING SNACK

Eating protein- and fiber-rich meals or snacks every 2 to 3 hours helps keep your blood-sugar levels normal. This not only improves your body's ability to burn fat, but also reduces risk factors for heart disease by lowering cholesterol and triglycerides. Frequent eating also prevents afternoon binges on useless calories, like the leftover Krispy Kremes from your morning staff meeting.

GRAPES, CHEESE, AND HAM
    1 1/2c seedless grapes
    2 slices fat-free American cheese singles
    4oz Healthy Choice ham slices

352 calories, 28 g protein, 51 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber

OPTION 2 MEXI-TUNA

Mix together:
    1 3 oz can (or packet) Starkist Premium Chunk Light Tuna in Water
    3/4c canned black beans
    1/2 c salsa
    1/2 c canned green beans

335 calories, 45 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat (0 g saturated), 15 g fiber

OPTION 3 CHILI

Microwave:
    1/2 can Hormel Less Sodium Chili with Beans
    340 calories, 18 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat (7 g saturated), 9 g fiber

12:00pm
    LUNCH

These lunches not only are high in protein and healthy fat, but also score low on the glycemic index. So, like the midmorning snack, they contain carbohydrates that have little impact on your blood sugar. This keeps your fat-burning furnace stoked and helps prevent the dreaded midday lull.

TUNA SANDWICH
    Make with:
    2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread
    1 3 oz can (or packet) Starkist Premium Chunk Light Tuna in Water
    1 Tbsp Hellmann's Light mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp mustard
    1lettuce leaf
    2 slices tomato
    1tsp chopped onions
    1 Tbsp chopped celery

Have on the side:
    1oz Planters mixed nuts

506 calories, 45 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat (2 g saturated), 7 g fiber

OPTION 2 CHEF'S SALAD

Combine:
    2 c chopped romaine lettuce
    1 large hard-boiled egg
    2 oz Healthy Choice turkey breast
    2 oz Healthy Choice ham
    1 oz sliced light Cheddar cheese
    1 oz sliced light American cheese
    6 cherry tomatoes
    1/2 oz sliced almonds
    2Tbsp Hidden Valley Original Ranch Light Dressing (For a different flavor, try dressing your salad with olive oil and vinegar, which has 0 grams of sugar.)

493 calories, 54 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 22 g fat (6 g saturated), 4 g fiber

3:00pm
    MIDAFTERNOON SNACK

As the day goes on, your ability to utilize carbohydrates for energy decreases, boosting the likelihood that they'll be stored as fat. So late afternoon is a good time to start downsizing your carb intake and increasing the amount of healthy fat you consume. This also leads to fewer total carbohydrates in your daily diet, which speeds fat loss, according to multiple studies over the past 5 years.

CHEESE STICKS AND NUTS
    2 sticks 2% fat string cheese
    1 oz walnuts

307 calories, 24 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 24 g fat (6 g saturated), 2 g fiber

OPTION 2 BEEF JERKY AND CELERY WITH PEANUT BUTTER

2oz beef jerky
    1 celery stalk
    1 Tbsp Simply Jif Creamy Peanut Butter 33% Less Sugar

277 calories, 33 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (2 g saturated), 3 g fiber

OPTION 3 LOW-CARB PROTEIN BAR

1 Metabolic Drive Protein-Energy bar (t-nation.com) or similar product that contains fewer than 30 g carbohydrates and 20 or more g protein

240 calories, 20 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat (3 g saturated), 2 g fiber

6:00pm
    DINNER

Your sense of satiety, or feeling of fullness, is less sensitive in the evening than in the morning, which may help explain why you crave foods like ice cream at night. It's also another reason it makes sense to eat a dinner that's high in protein and healthy fat, both of which keep you full longer than carbohydrates do.

PANFRIED SALMON WITH BROCCOLI AND BEANS

Panfry:
    One 51/2 oz salmon fillet (in 2 Tbsp olive oil preheated in a nonstick skillet) on medium-high heat for 4 minutes; turn and fry for another 5 minutes. Season with fresh lemon juice and dill.

Have on the side:
    2 c steamed broccoli (measured raw)
    1/2can dark-red kidney beans (Wash thoroughly, then serve without cooking.)

516 calories, 56 g protein, 36 g carbohydrates, 19 g fat (3 g saturated), 18 g fiber

OPTION 2 MEAT LOAF WITH GREEN BEANS

Combine:
    1 lb extra-lean ground beef
    1/2 c oats
    1/2c Heinz OneCarb Ketchup (Use this version instead of regular ketchup to avoid unnecessary sugar.)
    1 large egg
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2tsp pepper
    2Tbsp dried onion flakes
    1 tsp dried mustard
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

In a baking pan, mix and form the ingredients into a loaf with your hands, then place into an oven preheated to 350°F.

Cook for:
    15 to 20 minutes. Makes 2 servings

Have on the side:
    1 c cooked green beans

530 calories, 52 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat (9 g saturated), 5 g fiber

9:00pm
    BEFORE-BED SNACK

Slow-absorbing proteins such as casein—the type of protein found in dairy products—deliver a steady supply of amino acids to muscle cells while you sleep, protecting your hard-earned muscle.

PROTEIN PUDDING
    Mix together, then chill for 1 hour:
    1scoop chocolate whey-protein powder
    6 oz 1% milk
    1 tsp sugar-free Jell-O pudding mix

239 calories, 33 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 1 g fiber

OPTION 2 COTTAGE CHEESE AND STRAWBERRIES

Mix together:
    1 c Breakstone's 2% cottage cheese
    3/4 c sliced strawberries
    198 calories, 29 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (0.5 g saturated), 3 g fiber

11. ireland

ireland Active member

125 Best Foods in Your Supermarket
    Provided by: Men's Health
    By Phillip Rhodes, Men's Health
    Last Updated: 12/04/2006 13:00:37

It's the central paradox of weight loss: The people who exercise their jaws as often as their muscles are the folks who consistently stay ahead of the abdominal curve—the one that stretches belt leather and strains buttonholes. They win the waistline war because (1) their fat-melting metabolisms are stoked with high-grade fuel, and (2) their bellies are filled with the good, so they don't have much room for the bad and the ugly.

How can you achieve a belly that's too full to become fat? We asked our crack team of nutrition advisors to help identify foods that keep a man in optimum operating condition. Then we scoured the grocery store to locate the top contenders. Finally we sampled, and sampled, and sampled every last one. Sometimes we even licked our plates.

The result: the 125 best foods for men. And they're all foods you'll want to eat, not feel you have to eat. Your premeal prayers have just been answered.

What to Eat When . . .
    . . . You want to avoid a trip to Taco Hell

Eating south of the border doesn't need to mean that you'll look like Pauncho Villa.

1. Frozen Mexican Entree
    Cedarlane Three Layer Enchilada Pie
    Like lasagna by way of Mexico.

2. Best Frozen Burrito
    Cedarlane Low Fat Beans, Rice, & Cheese Style 7 grams (g) fiber.

3. Best Tortilla Chip
    Garden of Eatin' Black Bean
    4 g fiber, so there's no need for guilt.

4. Best Hot Sauce
    Tabasco
    Still the best low-sodium way to crank up the heat.

5. Best Salsa
    Walnut Acres Midnight Sun
    The right blend of cool cilantro and spicy jalapeno pepper.

6. Best Tortilla
    Tumaro's Gourmet Multi Grain
    None of the trans fat that makes many other wraps pliable.

7. Best Refried beans
    Bearitos Low Fat Black Beans
    Creamy and smooth, despite the absence of lard.

8. Best guacamole
    AvoClassic
    Like Lipitor, but much, much tastier.

. . . You only have 5 minutes for breakfast
    Breakfast is the key that starts your metabolism every day. These are some fine-tasting keys—and each one can be ready in 5 minutes or less.

9. Best Toaster Waffle
    Kashi Go Lean
    Crispy like a real waffle, except this one's whole wheat.

10. Best Syrup
    Joseph's Sugar Free
    The thickest no-sugar syrup.

11. Best Granola
    Bear Naked Fruit and Nut
    Low-fat, flavor-full.

12. Best Sweetened Cereal
    Honey Nut Cheerios
    When you crave sugar, do the least damage with these lightly sweetened O's.

13. Best High-Fiber Cereal
    Nature's Path Optimum Power Breakfast
    Sorry, Wheaties. With 10 g fiber, 8 g protein, and tasty freeze-dried blueberries, this is the true breakfast of champions.

14. Best 1 Percent Milk Substitute
    Silk, Plain
    The most milklike of any soy-milk brand.

15. Best Bagel
    Pepperidge Farm MultiGrain
    Nutty flavor and 5 g fiber.

16. Best Cream Cheese
    Philadelphia Neufchâtel
    Same tang and texture as regular cream cheese, but a third less saturated fat.

. . . You need to grant yourself immunity
    Oats contain a type of fiber called beta-glucan, which helps activate your immune system's killer cells.

17. Best Instant Oatmeal
    Nature's Path Flax 'n Oats
    Lightly sweetened omega-3s.
    Per packet: 200 calories, 7 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (0 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 130 milligrams (mg) sodium

18. Best Cookie
    Pepperidge Farm Soft Baked Oatmeal Raisin
    One of the few cookie choices made without heart-stopping trans fat or waist-expanding high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
    Per cookie: 130 calories, 2 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 4.5 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 90 mg sodium

19. Best Crunchy Granola Bar
    Nature Valley Peanut Butter
    It's like portable oatmeal.
    Per package (2 bars): 180 calories, 5 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 190 mg sodium

. . . You're working late
    Build a stockpile of food in your desk drawer, and the vending machine will hold less allure (and pose less of a threat).

20. Best Dried Soup
    Nile Spice Lentil
    Perfection. Just add hot water to enjoy 11 filling, paprika-spiked grams of protein.

21. Best Canned Chili
    Bush's Homestyle Chunky Chili with Beans
    Comes in a jar, so you see what you're getting—big hunks of juicy tomato and beef.

22. Best Jerky
    SnackMasters Natural Beef, Hot & Spicy
    No chemical-preservative flavor. There's no tastier way to play caveman.

23. Best Energy Bar
    Clif Bar Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
    Dense, moist, chewy—unbeatable. You can't go wrong.

. . . You want to be called "Daddy"
    Men with higher vitamin C intakes have stronger swimmers. Ordinarily, we'd cite the study details, but since they contain the word "clump" and this is a food story, we're going to let it slide. Just trust us.

24. Best Fruit Juice
    Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit
    No added sugar, so it's tart but not bitter.
    Per 8 ounces: 130 calories, 1 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 35 mg sodium, 100% Daily Value (DV) vitamin C

. . . You want to upgrade your sandwich
    Your standard sandwich is just as boring as you let it be. Layer it with nutritional firepower instead.

25. Best Loaf Bread
    Pepperidge Farm Natural Whole Grain
    Fiber-filled goodness, yet moist enough to crush and roll into a ball—the true test of good bread.

26. Best Pita
    Mr. Pita High Fibre
    Having 6 g fiber doesn't prevent these sandwich pockets from being soft and flexible.

27. Best Sliced Turkey
    Healthy Choice Honey Roasted Smoked Turkey Breast
    Most other brands offer only smoked or honey, but the two flavors go great together.

28. Best Sliced Ham
    Hillshire Farm Smoked
    Okay sodium (340 mg per 2 ounces) and a superhandy resealable plastic container.

29. Best Sliced Roast Beef
    Applegate Farms Organic
    Wow. Just-cooked taste and texture, and a surprisingly low 230 mg sodium.

30. Best Sliced Cheese
    Sargento Reduced Fat Swiss
    Best aged-cheese flavor for the lowest sodium price.

31. Best Canned Tuna
    Crown Prince Solid White Albacore
    Flakes apart like real fish. Tastes like it, too.

32. Best Iceberg-Lettuce Substitute
    Baby Spinach
    Loaded with lutein, which promotes eye health. Good source of calcium, too.
    How to eat it: Drop a handful of leaves in sandwiches, salads, and soups.

33. Best Pickles
    Cascadian Farm Bread & Butter Chips
    Crisp and just sweet enough.

34. Best Hummus
    Wild Garden Hummus Dip
    Noticeably creamier than the refrigerated-section brands. Great lemon zing, too.

35. Best Mayonnaise
    Hellmans Light
    Not sure what's better—the easy-squeeze bottle or the fluffy mayo inside.

. . . You want to get her in the mood
    Proving that stereotypes do sometimes have a basis in fact: Italian researchers found that women who often eat chocolate have a higher sex drive than those who don't.

36. Best Dark Chocolate
    Ghirardelli
    Semi-Sweet Beautifully balances sweet with bitter, just like a good relationship should.
    Per 3 sections: 210 calories, 2 g protein, 25 g carbohydrates, 14 g fat (9 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 0 mg sodium

37. Best Ice Cream
    Edy's Grand Light
    Other low-fat ice creams up the sugar to increase the appeal. Edy's is just pure, slow-churned, creamy goodness.
    Per 1/2 cup (vanilla): 100 calories, 3 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g fat (2 g saturated), 0 g fiber, 45 mg sodium

Drizzle it with . . .

38. Best Chocolate Syrup
    Nestle Nesquik This one's actually sweetened with sugar, not HFCS.
    Per 2 Tbsp: 100 calories, 0 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 50 mg sodium

. . . You're ready to toast the end of your workout
    If you've worked out properly, you'll be beat. So restore your energy level with a quick carb infusion. Then give your muscles the protein they need to start making you bigger and better.

39. Best Sports Drink
    Gatorade Lemonade
    Tastes like delicious, refreshing lemonade. Why didn't they think of this flavor sooner?
    Per 8 ounces: 50 calories, 0 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 110 mg sodium

40. Best Protein Bar
    Detour Caramel Peanut
    As close to a candy bar as protein bars come.
    Per bar: 170 calories, 15 g protein, 14 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (2.5 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 248 mg sodium

41. Best Protein-Bar Alternative
    Cold Fusion
    These ice creamâ€Ã‚“like treats will cool you down while delivering 11 g whey protein.
    Per bar: 130 calories, 11 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 0 mg sodium

. . . Sunday brunch is at your place
    It's actually a favor to your guests if you offer food that fills them up, not out.

42. Best Egg
    Eggland's Best Omega-3 Fortified
    Heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids displace 25 percent of the artery-clogging kind.

43. Best Canadian Bacon
    Hormel Canadian Style Bacon
    Already cooked—just zap it in the microwave for 11 g protein.

44. Best Breakfast Sausage
    Armour Brown 'N Serve Lite Original
    Full of peppery flavor, not fat (only 3 g saturated fat).

45. Best English Muffin
    Thomas' Hearty Grains 100% Whole Wheat
    So moist and sweet, they're kind of like the other type of muffin. But the other kind probably doesn't have 3 g fiber.

46. Best Butterlike Spread
    Land O'Lakes Whipped Light Butter
    Real butter tastes better than any oily imitation spread. Because it's whipped with air, this kind has 2 g less saturated fat.

47. Best fruit spread
    Smucker's Simply Fruit, Strawberry
    The name says it all.

. . . You want to reduce your risk of experiencing a heart attack
    Focus on monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids to lower LDL-cholesterol levels.

48. Best Oil
    Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    The dark green color is an indicator of this oil's bolder, full-bodied flavor.
    Per Tbsp: 120 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 14 g fat (2 g saturated), 0 g fiber, 0 mg sodium

49. Best Cooking Spray
    Pam Olive Oil
    See all the zeros below? That's how it helps your heart.
    Per spray: 0 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 mg sodium

50. Best Flaxseed
    Barlean's Forti-Flax One word: preground. Which makes this rich source of omega-3s all that much easier to add to cereal or yogurt.
    Per 2 Tbsp: 70 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (0 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 0 mg sodium

. . . You need to be prepared for a morning meeting
    You need protein to tune your brain when the boss starts the meeting by turning to you for a recap of the Johnson project, and carbs to give you energy when he suggests that your approach is a load of hooey.

51. Best Yogurt Smoothie
    Stonyfield Farm Strawberry
    A silky-smooth blend of protein and calcium.

52. Best Cereal Bar
    South Beach Diet Cranberry Almond
    Tangy berry flavor and 10 g protein.

53. Best Toaster Pastry
    Amy's Organic Toaster Pops
    These actually seem pastrylike. Full of fruit, too.

. . . A salad just doesn't seem filling enough
    Iceberg lettuce has all the nutritional value of the iceberg it's named after. Top it with . . .

54. Best Canned Beans
    Goya Chick Peas
    Rinsing them cuts the sodium by 40 percent, leaving just protein and fiber.

55. Best Precooked Chicken
    Perdue Short Cuts Original Roasted
    Tender strips of pure protein. Ups a salad's appeal instantly.

56. Best Canned Salmon
    Natural Sea Wild Premium Pink
    Some canned salmon tastes more like tuna. Not this kind.

57. Best Vinaigrette Dressing
    Seeds of Change Sweet Basil
    Like Italian, only all grown up.

58. Best Creamy Dressing
    Hidden Valley Light Ranch
    Only 1 tiny gram of saturated fat, but still tangy and oh, so creamy.

. . . You want to reduce your risk of cancer
    Courtesy of Dave Grotto, R.D., Men's Health nutrition advisor and director of nutrition at the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Care in Evanston, Illinois; he knows a thing or two about preventing cancer:

59. Blueberries
    May lower cholesterol, improve circulation, fight cancer, and improve memory.
    How to eat them: Sprinkle on whole-grain cereal or blend into a smoothie.

60. Broccoli
    A substance in broccoli called DIM fights prostate cancer. (Broccoli's one of those cruciferous vegetables that's made so much news on the cancer-fighting front.) It's also high in potassium and vitamin C.
    How to eat it: Splash with olive oil, steam, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

61. Garlic
    Contains sulfur compounds known to fight a variety of cancers.
    How to eat it: Buy a garlic press and squeeze some into soups or onto toast as a topping.

62. Sweet Potatoes These cancer fighters also help blood pressure and are a superb source of beta-carotene and potassium.
    How to eat them: Cut into fries, top with garlic and black and red pepper, and bake.

63. Tomatoes
    Rich in vitamin C and lycopene, nutrients that help fight heart disease and prostate cancer.
    How to eat them: Puree cored and peeled tomatoes to make gazpacho, and top with cubed avocado. (Fat helps the body absorb lycopene more efficiently.)

. . . You need a little something on the side
    And french fries just don't cut it.

64. Best Mac & Cheese Mix
    Simply Organic
    Low in fat, and it has a simple, low-chem ingredient list. Creamy smooth, without too much salt.

65. Best Rice
    Kraft Minute Brown Nice nutty flavor. Not too sticky, either.

66. Best Rice Mix
    Vigo Black Beans and Rice
    Less salty than some, but doesn't skimp on peppery Cajun flavor.

67. Best Baked Beans
    Bush's Original Microwavable Cup
    The convenient ready-to-nuke container and smoky-sweet flavor make these beans the best.

68. Best frozen vegetables
    Birds Eye Pepper Stir-Fry
    Once they're thawed, you'd never know they were frozen in the first place.

. . . You feel the 4 p.m. slump coming on
    A little bit of protein will help you feel alert," says Men's Health nutrition columnist Heidi Skolnik. Blend it with quality carbs for an energy boost and you'll be back at work in no time. Wait a minute . . . maybe a slump's not such a bad thing after all.

69. Best Candy Bar
    Snickers Almond
    Heart-healthy almonds, and a nougat center.
    Per bar: 240 calories, 3 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 80 mg sodium

70. Best Nut Mix
    Planters NUTrition Heart-Healthy Mix
    Pure heart-healthy fats. Pistachios keep things interesting.
    Per ounce: 170 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 55 mg sodium

71. Best Almonds
    Blue Diamond Smokehouse
    Great smoky flavor and less salt than even some reduced-sodium brands.
    Per ounce: 170 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat (1 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 150 mg sodium

72. Best Trail Mix
    Fisher Nature's Nut Mix
    No sugary or salty dusting. No rock-hard specks of dried fruit. Just a nicely balanced blend of walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, raisins, and dried cranberries. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
    Per ounce: 160 calories, 4 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat (1 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 0 mg sodium

. . . You haven't eaten your vegetables
    As David Duval will tell you, not everybody's good around the greens.

73. Best Vegetable Juice
    V8 Low Sodium
    Same vitamin C count, but 75 percent less sodium.

74. Best Juice Blend
    Juicy Juice Berry
    It's supersweet, even without added sugar, and it packs 120 percent of your daily dose of vitamin C.

75. Best Frozen-Juice Bar
    Edy's Whole Fruit, No Sugar Added
    Ice-cold fruit and nothing else.

76. Best Vegetarian TV Dinner
    Amy's Indian Mattar Paneer
    Restaurant-quality curried chickpeas and tomatoes. Why wait for takeout?

77. Best Veggie Burger
    Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean
    Don't pretend it's a hamburger and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

. . . You want to drop 10 pounds in a week
    From the Classic Weight-Loss Tricks file: Foods made mostly of water help you lose weight because they're . . . made mostly of water. These broth-based soups fills you up with fewer calories than solid food has, says Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., a professor of nutrition at Pennsylvania State University and the author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan.

78. Best Chicken Soup
    Progresso 99% Fat Free Chicken Noodle
    Saltier than some, but far and away the best broth and chicken.
    Per cup: 90 calories, 7 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 2 g fat (0.5 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 980 mg sodium

79. Best Beef Soup
    Campbell's Chunky Hearty Beef Barley
    Rich, thick tomato broth.
    Per cup: 170 calories, 11 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat (1 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 890 mg sodium

80. Best Vegetable Soup
    Progresso 99% Fat Free Minestrone
    Your best soup bet—a lean source of protein and fiber, thanks to the inherently low-fat kidney beans.
    Per cup: 110 calories, 5 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat (0 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 630 mg sodium

81. Best Bagged Tea
    The Republic of Tea Dancing Leaves Green Tea
    Overlook the corny name. Drink in the fat-blasting antioxidants.
    Per bag: 0 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 mg sodium

82. Best Bottled Tea
    Tazo Lemon Green Iced Tea
    The MH staff fought over the leftovers.
    Per 8 ounces: 60 calories, 0 g protein, 16 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 5 mg sodium

83. Best lemonade
    Minute Maid Light
    Pleasantly pucker-inducing.
    Per 8 ounces: 15 calories, 0 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 15 mg sodium

84. Best Anti-soda
    Izze Sparkling Blueberry
    All the fizz, none of the added sugar of regular sodas.
    Per 8 ounces: 100 calories, 1 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 10 mg sodium

85. Best soda
    Diet Dr Pepper
    The only low-cal soda that still tastes almost exactly like the high-cal version.
    Per 8 ounces: 0 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 35 mg sodium

. . . You can't conk out
    Melatonin is the hormone that tells your body to go to sleep. While switching from Letterman to QVC might help, we'd recommend something a bit more appetizing.

86. Best Sleep Aid
    Cherries
    They're an excellent source of melatonin, and their anthocyanins (red pigments) help reduce inflammation.
    How to eat them: Fresh, dried, or juiced.

. . . You're hosting a weeknight barbecue
    Grilling is not only the manliest way to cook, but it's a healthful way as well, because the fat ends up in the fire, not on your fork.

87. Best Hot Dogs
    Ball Park Lite Franks
    Plump, but with nearly half the calories and saturated fat, they're not plump-inducing.

88. Best Dinner sausage
    Bell & Evans Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
    Bursting with anise and sweet red pepper flavors, not fat.

89. Best Turkey Burger
    Jennie-O Thin and quick-cooking, but incredibly moist. A great source of lean protein (19 g).

90. Best Salmon Burger
    Omega Foods Wild Lightly flavored with dill. Plus 1 g omega-3s.

91. Best Ketchup
    Heinz Organic A recent study found that organic ketchup has up to three times more prostate-protective lycopene than ordinary kinds. It's thicker than regular, too.

92. Best Mustard
    Silver Spring Beer 'n Brat Horseradish Mustard
    Sharp as a good chef's knife. Great spicy kick.

93. Best barbecue Sauce
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Q
    Just right in every way—not too hot, sweet, or thick.

94. Best Steak Sauce
    Smith & Wollensky
    Amazingly, it tastes exactly like steak. Which makes it especially good on other foods.

95. Best Soy Sauce
    La Choy Lite The flavor is indistinguishable from that of the blood-pressure-raising kind.

. . . You invite the guys over for poker
    Gamble on the game, not your health.

96. Best Beer
    Samuel Adams Light
    More smooth, roasty malt flavor than you'd find in quite a few regular beers. We'll drink to that.

97. Best Popcorn
    Smart Balance Light Butter
    Balances "light" with "butter" perfectly. And no hydrogenated oils or trans fats.

98. Best Pretzel
    Snyder's of Hanover Carb Fix Pretzel Sticks Less dense than traditional pretzels. Plus 9 g fiber.

99. Best Cheese Cracker
    Pepperidge Farm Cheddar Goldfish
    Now that these crackers are trans fatâ€Ã‚“free, we've become hooked.

100. Best Potato Chip
    Michael Season's Lightly Salted Reduced Fat
    Our tasters preferred these to chips with twice the fat and salt.

101. Best Dip
    Guiltless Gourmet Black Bean
    Smooth, spreadable protein (1 g per Tbsp). Nice spice, and a cilantro tang.

. . . You want to burn fat
    Calcium is the dietary version of a get-out-of-jail-free card. A recent Danish study found that consuming at least 1,800 mg of it daily can block the absorption of 84 calories.

102. Best String Cheese
    Sargento Soft, but still stringy—and it actually tastes like cheese, unlike most of the competition.
    Per stick: 80 calories, 8 g protein, less than 1 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 0 g fiber, 240 mg sodium, 20% DV calcium

103. Best Cottage Cheese
    Friendship 1% Lowfat No Salt Added
    A sixth of the sodium of most others.
    Per 1/2 cup: 90 calories, 16 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 1 g fat (0.5 g saturated), 0 g fiber, 50 mg sodium, 10% DV calcium

104. Best Yogurt
    Dannon Light 'n Fit Blueberry
    Dannon's yogurt has the smoothest texture. Plus, the fruit's already blended, not lurking in the depths of the container.
    Per carton: 90 calories, 6 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 95 mg sodium, 15% DV calcium

105. Best Chocolate Milk
    Horizon Organic Chocolate Reduced Fat So silky-smooth and creamy, it tastes almost too good to be good for you.
    Per 8 ounces: 190 calories, 8 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (3 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 135 mg sodium, 25% DV calcium

. . . You want to dodge a pizza-delivery disaster
    Remember, Domino is the last name of a fella named "Fats." And when the pizza finally shows up, it's usually about 20 minutes later than promised, and you've already raided the fridge for an appetizer.

106. Best Frozen Pizza
    South Beach Diet Pepperoni
    What a difference a whole-wheat crust makes. Higher in saturated fat than some, but higher in fiber, too (12 g). To us, that's a balanced equation.

107. Best Frozen Lasagna
    Cedarlane Low-Fat Garden Vegetable
    Cheesy, saucy, and spinachy—perfect.

108. Best Frozen Italian Entree
    Healthy Choice Stuffed Pasta Shells
    Sweet tomato sauce, tangy ricotta cheese, and a just-right portion.

109. Best Canned Pasta
    Chef Boyardee Beefaroni
    Thicker pasta and meatier sauce make a grown-up alternative to ordinary O's.

110. Best Pasta
    Barilla Plus
    They've wedged in 10 g protein and 4 g fiber by using bean flour instead of wheat, but you'll never notice the difference. Promise.

111. Best Spaghetti Sauce
    Newman's Own Marinara
    A perfect blend of garlic and Italian spices. Looks great on your tie.

112. Best Canned Tomatoes
    Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes, No Salt Added
    Nothing but pure tomato flavor. Plus, 35 percent of your Daily Value of vitamin C per serving.

. . . You're hungry and you don't know why
    "People eat for so many reasons: hunger, boredom, stress, loneliness," says D. Milton Stokes, R.D. "Keep a stash of â€Ã‚˜safe foods' handy," he says. That means high-fiber and high-protein foods that will fill you up before you can cause yourself caloric harm.

113. Best Peanut Butter
    Naturally More
    Stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth texture, light honey flavor, and—surprise!—the benefits of omega-3â€Ã‚“laden flax.
    Per 2 Tbsp: 169 calories, 10 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (2 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 130 mg sodium

114. Best Cracker
    Pepperidge Farm Hearty Wheat
    Other crackers may bring more fiber to the table, but they don't bring this much flavor.
    Per 3 crackers: 80 calories, 2 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 3.5 g fat (0 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 100 mg sodium

115. Best Chewy Granola Bar
    Kashi Trail Mix
    Packed with nuts and sweetened only with fruit and natural sweeteners like brown-rice syrup.
    Per bar: 130 calories, 5 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (0.5 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 90 mg sodium

116. Best Fig Bar
    Barbara's Whole Wheat
    The nutty flavor of the grain casing makes these bars taste even sweeter than traditional fig bars.
    Per bar: 60 calories, 1 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 1 g fiber, 25 mg sodium

. . . You want fast food
    If you're too hungry to cook, reach for these. By the time you pop open a beer, dinner will be ready.

117. Best beef TV Dinner
    Healthy Choice Beef Merlot
    If you prefer meat that's recognizable as such, this is the only beef dinner for you.

118. Best Chicken TV Dinner
    South Beach Diet Cashew Chicken
    High in sodium, but hands down the best frozen chicken we tested for flavor and texture.

119. Best Turkey TV Dinner
    Smart Ones Stuffed Turkey Breast
    Tender turkey slices, and firm, springy breading.

120. Best Seafood TV Dinner
    Lean Cuisine Salmon with Basil
    Big chunks of flaky salmon, plus whole-grain pasta, which contributes 5 g fiber.

121. Best Frozen Bagged Dinner
    Lean Cuisine Skillet Sensations Garlic Chicken
    Not too heavy on the garlic, with tender chunks of chicken and plump pasta.

122. Best Microwavable Bowl
    Seeds of Change Seven Grain Pilaf A way-wholesome mix of grains made slightly less so by lots of cheese. Mmm.

123. Best Entree in a Box
    Tyson Carved Turkey Breast in Gravy Certain to bring back college-cafeteria memories—in a good way. Plus, this packaged poultry dinner has half the sodium of similar beef entrees.

124. Best Pocket Sandwich
    Lean Pockets Pepperoni Pizza
    They might make you lean, but they sure don't taste that way.

. . . You need to go to your happy place—immediately
    Vitamin C helps stimulate the secretion of a hormone called oxytocin. Large pulses of oxytocin are released from the hypothalamus and testes during orgasm. And you know that provides tension relief.

125. Best Orange Juice
    Tropicana Calcium + Vitamin D
    The bone-building calcium-and-D combination makes this one of our favorites. Just shake it before using to mix the nutrients for their full effect.
    Per 8 ounces: 110 calories, 2 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 0 g fiber, 0 mg sodium, 120% of DV for vitamin C

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland...thanks, I'm going to print that! As you know, I quit smoking nine months ago (almost). I did very well and seldom even miss it but I also put on 35 lbs! I went from 150 to 185 pounds or so. I'm not drastically overweight (yet) but even the 35 pounds hurts in the literal sense ... with all the spinal fusions, the basic rule of thumb is that if it hangs off the front, it pulls on the back ... and it has been hurting. I managed to quit smoking now I have to find the discipline to stop eating and get back to where I was. So, your list comes in handy!

13. Schwaber

Schwaber Regular member

@gerry 1 Here is the link to download that book that Am referring to. download here

I got hooked to this book after reading a couple of chapters. Good info!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  14. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks Schwaber!