1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Sided DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mikeyboy, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

I tried to copy using [bold]DVD X Copy Express[/bold] a disk that was two sided. I was able to copy the first side without a problem, but when it came to trying to copy the 2nd side not a chance. Always crapped out on me? I have defragged, and done other things prior to starting my Rip. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Mike

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I'd say it's broken. (lol)

Seriously though, how is it "crapping out" on you? Does it give you an error message? Does it cause the system to freeze? As much detail as possible would be helpful.

3. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

Yes an error message, I will try again later,and let you know. It copies the first side no problem, it is one of those all silver side 1 and 2 disks. I can getthe whole image from side one, and it burns no prob. I try the 2nd side, it copies onto the drive but then it will not burn onto the DVD. It doesn't ruin the disk but won't write fo9r the life of it. It is an HP 300i writer. I will let you klnow the error message when i try it again,

Thanks
    Mike

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Sounds good.

Just to throw something else at you, many of us on these boards don't use DVDXcopy, but rather one of the other following options:

DVD Decrypter to rip
    DVD2one to compress
    RecordNow or Nero to burn

or DVD Shrink to rip and compress
    RecordNow or Nero to burn

I prefer the first option, but with the second option DVD Shrink is freeware.

5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

I did get Nero with the unit, but was told it was garbage, so I bought the other?

Mike

6. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Myself personally, I use RecordNow for my DVD's but many people use Nero. The one thing with RecordNow is it has something within the program that notices if you are burning a VIDEO_TS folder, and does something to make sure it gets encoded properly.

Biggest advantages of my methods are:
    -No stupid extra warning at the begining of the movie
    - And you can make a back up of a back up.

Anyways, get the error message when you can, and we'll try to help you out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2003
  7. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

As you must know by now I am very new to this. I copied the first side of a movie called Gettysburg, the 2nd side I keep getting an error message saying it [bold]"can't read the Title Set"[/bold] It will not write the 2nd side no matter what I do. Any ideas would really help me out, as I do not want to start making frisbees. This seems like a very cool hobby,and keeps all my good Store bought DVD's in great shape. Any help you have, or suggestions on anything else would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank You.

Mike

8. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I assume you bought double sided discs? Are they purple on both sides?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  9. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

Yes I did use the same type of disk as it came as, looks like you can copy both sides.. What I really don't understand though is why can't you use a normal DVD disk to copy one side, and then use another for the other side of the disk? This is all new, so please have some patients with me, I really appreciate the help though. Also this is a loaner from a buddy, and I am going to buy my own. Is it better to get one for the computer or a home type? Also what is the best on the market for the computer, I was looking at a [bold]Plextor[/bold], someone else said it didn't matter an LG DVD Rom was just as good?

Thanks buddy I really do appreciate your comments,and help!

Mike

10. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The reason why I asked about double sided discs is because they are a little rare. I would think the packaging would definitely say double sided if that was the case.

Also, please don't take anything I say as condecending. In my posts I try my best to make you guys do some thinking for yourselves. When I came onto this board many of the regs did the same for me, and now I know how to do anything I need to do.

I can't see any reason why you can't copy a double sided disc onto 2 seperate blanks; the DVD player has no way of knowing that the disc is double sided. I'm at a bit of a loss. You might want to try one of the methods I mentioned in my post; 4th from the top. It's free (to try at least) and you might find it works for you.

As for what type of burner to buy; I own both types. One in my PC and a Panasonic stand alone. Now both of these do two different jobs for me. The one in my computer is for backing up my DVD's. The stand alone is for transfering VHS and TV signals to DVD. One thing with the stand alone is there is no way to get the Dolby Digital sound transfered over; which is a very big deal to me.

I do own the el cheapo LG internal DVD burner. It's been a good sturdy little burner, but many people of this forum have been plagued by problems.

Hope this is of some help.

11. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

(deleted, post went thru twice)

12. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Member

Thank You ken0042
    I appreciate your help. I will try the suggestion on the list. I tell you this as my wife and I own a computer store, we do mostly Networking etc. MCSE, CNE, Cisco etc. This DVD burnign is just kind of a hobby/ relaxation for me to leave the stress of everyday working with very complicated problems. I do have a supplier here in Ontario, Canada where we buy alot of CD/RW now the demand for DVD -R is extremely good. I am able to get what I need when I need it. THanks again I will try another method, and software.

Chow,

Mikeyboy

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry, i havent read through the entire post yet as i tend to be quite lazy in that respect. When copying a DVD that is DVD-10 (double sided) it is basically the same as copying two seperate movies, bar a few minor differences. My advice would be to use DVD Decrypter to rip each side f the disc. Run the created VOB's only through TMPGEnc DVD Author for each disc, and then burn with Record Now Deluxe in a VIDEO_TS folder.