1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading unlicensed anime...legal?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by schoe, Apr 29, 2005.

1. schoe

schoe Member

I'm wondering whether downloading unlicensed anime is actually legal as long as its for personal use and not for profit and such? What about ethical issues? Animesuki couldn't explain so clearly to me...

I read here...:
    http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000111----000-.html
    (a) Certain Secondary Transmissions Exempted.— The secondary transmission of a performance or display of a work embodied in a primary transmission is not an infringement of copyright if—

(5) the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service.

So by downloading materials from fansub groups which they have "secondary transmission"ed the shows to the Internet, is that alright?

I heard that downloading unlicensed anime is illegal AND unethical...unethical because I'm keeping the producers from gaining profit in their shows, and illegal in that there may be some international copyright law out there which prevents me from downloading these shows?

help.?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

It's legal, but it's much disputed and many anime companies know even if they license it, people are still going to find ways to download it.

3. schoe

schoe Member

^

can you prove it? I hear from many that unlicensed anime is legal..but they can't refer to an act or a bill...

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Prove which part of the sentence?

You proved my first part, and I just proved my second part a day ago. =P

5. schoe

schoe Member

well, im just wondering whether the info i put up on the first post is valid argument...