1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive won't recognize dvd's.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by HBGal, Jan 13, 2007.

1. HBGal

HBGal Member

My D drive will no longer recognize blank media. I was trying to transfer from my video camera to dvd (previously had done this with no problem) and when I put the blank media in the drive, the system would not recognize the media. I used the same disks I always use. In "My computer" the d drive it will use the dvd-r icon, but in the details area of the window is just says CD Drive (D:) Cd Drive. I am no longer able to backup any type of media, although it will play a movie or backed up copy of a movie...I'm so confused......please help!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you change anything with your blank media? Switch spindles/packs/format/speed rating/format?

1)With most brands of media being outsourced,by switching to another batch or even identical spindle-you may be using a different MID coded media.This would be firmware related when a drive won't recognize blank media.

What's the brand name and speed rate of those blank dvd-rs? MID code would be helpful,from the ones that work and the ones you are trying to burn-see if they are different.

What's the brand name,model #,and firmware version of your burner?

This free program will give you all that info:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

2) Sometimes drives can get lost,making your dvd-rw drive recognized as a cd-rw drive. For Windows XP: Go into device manager:

Open up the tree for dvd/cdrom drives
    Locate that drive-double click it
    Click Drivers tab
    Uninstall
    OK
    Reboot- then XP will automatically hook it back up.

3) Bad batch of media: If still using the same spindle,try one towards the bottom of that spindle. This can happen to any brand named media.