1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drives won't read disc's?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by flankR, Jun 16, 2007.

1. flankR

flankR Member

neither of my 2 drives(dvd writer/cd writer combo and the cd-rom) will read discs. both dvd's and cd's in both drives each appear as blank.
    Is my computer screwed?
    thanks for any help.
    cheers

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

himm, update the drivers, right click my computer(cannot be a short cut)>properties>hardware tab>device manager> find the drivers and update them. Since both went out there might be some software inter fearing, uninstall any software you just installed, if that doesn't work then do a system restore point, your computer probably made one right before you installed it. and remember dust is always the culprit (never doubt physical interference) open up the computer and clean out all the dust near the drives, sata cords may have come out lose.

3. flankR

flankR Member

Thanks-I'm gonna try what all you suggested.
    I will post after I see how it turns out

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i think it could newly installed burning software, or a physical issue (dust, sata cords came out), it seems strange both went out, ya post back when you have checked

5. flankR

flankR Member

well it seems to be working. I tryed to update the drives but there was none available. I scanned and defraged the drives(It needed it anyways),then I turned the computer offand let it do the slow set up.
    I don't know
    There was also some updates for my computer but it said something about java so i don't think it was that.

I'm just glad it's working and if it ever happens again I'll know what to try from all your suggestions.
    cheers

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well its just a glich, like you delete a file, but in my computer windows doesn't show this it for like 2 days, you can also try right clicking in my computer and refreshing next time, it'll recheck the drives

glade it worked out have a good one
    ~tripplite