1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual channel? FSB? Overclock videocard?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Halfbreed, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Halfbreed

Halfbreed Member

I built my computer a few months ago and I was wondering about a few things. I have the following:

Athlon 2800+ Barton Core
    Biostar M7NCD Pro motherboard
    Pheonix-AWARDBIOS
    2X Kingston 256MB DDR (PC3200)
    Radeon 9600 256MB

I believe that's all you'll need to know for my questions, my drives shouldn't matter.

First, my motherboard is supposed to be dual channel...other than placing the memory sticks in the slots the manual told me, how do I know I'm running the dual channel feature? Do I have to do anything in the BIOS?

Also, the processor is supposed to be 333mhz FSB. In my BIOS, if I set it to anything higher than 166mhz, it won't POST and I have to reset my CMOS. The highest I can even go is only 250mhz, not 333.

And finally, I've heard about overclocking your videocard? How would one go about doing that? My BIOS manual doesn't tell you anything (at all about anything :D) and I don't think I like the whole setup of the BIOS itself. I plan on getting a VGA cooler, and if I do, I think I'd like to overclock the card to the pro speed.

Thanks,
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. Halfbreed

Halfbreed Member

Awesome, I went with the rage3D one. Thanks.

Anyone else know about the dual channel or the FSB?

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

FSB: 166 = 333 DDR
    MEMORY: Unless your mobo is picky with brands for which you should use specicially designated memory sticks, there are no settings you need to 'activate'

5. Halfbreed

Halfbreed Member

I see.

Thanks!

6. hiredgoon

hiredgoon Regular member

the manual will usually tell you what slots to put the ram in. IT DOES MATTER.

then ususally during boot up the computer will say all your info like cpu speed, how much ram and then it should say something like " ddr ram 200 duel channal"

so ya, look for something on the black startup screens for duel channal .

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yes for dual channel configs, usually the dual slots are closer together and they make a point of putting the third one a wee bit further away

8. Halfbreed

Halfbreed Member

Really? That's interesting because my mobo manual said to put the Ram in Slots A and B. The three slots look like this:

|| |
    AA B So should I try putting them in the two slots that are closest together?

9. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Follow the manual, my ram setup on my board looks like that as well, mine i just leave the middle slot open. That enables the dual channel for me.