1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by thurman1, Dec 23, 2004.

1. thurman1

thurman1 Member

I am building my first new PC and I bought a 160GB SATA drive. My old PC has a 40GB IDE drive. I'd like to install the old drive in the new computer as a second drive. Obviously it has the OS on it because it was the only drive in my old system. Is it better to use the old drive as the boot drive for the new system and use the new drive for everything else? Or is it better to let the new drive be the boot drive and just use the old drive for secondary storage? If I use the new drive as the main drive, how do I deal with having the OS on the old drive. Will the computer ignore it? Thanks.

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I would personally use the sata drive as your primary drive, thurman. The sata drive should offer you a little more speed over your IDE drive.

You should be able to transfer data back and forth between both drives fine even with different OS installs on each one. Plus, you could just change the boot order or hit F8 and change between both of your OS installs. Just remember that in installing XP you'll have to hit that F6 button right when the setup comes up to install your sata drivers.